Chapter 6: Nightingale

Everything had to be done quickly, for time was the important factor, in order to keep James Delaney alive. Luckily, your bindings over his stab wound had stopped the bleeding, and Brace managed to disinfect and tend to his wound on time.

You watched, as James lay flat on the settee unconscious, yet stitched up and safe.

"Well...I have to be thankful for ye...if it weren't for you, he would have been left for dead, I'm sure" Brace said, as he wiped the blood off his hands with a clean cloth.

"No...I'm just glad I was there on time" you replied, arms crossed as you watched James with concern. Brace got up to see your worried face, "Ah...Don't worry lass, the man is strong...he will be fine".

"Would you mind terribly if I stay by his side tonight?" you found yourself inquiring, looking at Brace. Surprised he was indeed, and you didn't blame him. A mere stranger was all that you were to him, and he was not aware of the encounter you had with James.

"I just...am concerned...that is all" your voice sounded tired and throaty. And once again, you felt your eyes get wet, with a single tear trickling down your cheek.

"Are you alright lass...or have you never seen a man get hurt before?" Brace inquired, picking up the remnants of the tools and pieces of cloth on the bowl. You chuckled, wiping your cheek, "No no...I...I don't know" shrugging one's shoulders, you replied, which was the honest truth. Your genuine concern did not go unnoticed, for Brace patted you on the shoulder, "I'll prepare a bed for you-"

"Oh no! It's fine...I'll stay here" you said, "It is really alright" you insisted as he was about to protest, "Thank you Mr.?"

"Brace" he cleared his throat, you smiled.
"I'm Y/N...Thank you Mr. Brace" you replied politely.

———————————————–

Sitting on the floor, you watched James sleep. With your chin resting on your palm, you sighed recalling all what happened, trying to tie in the loose ends of confusion that overcame you tonight.

You never cared for violence, but imagining yourself striking someone with that much force, was something unimaginable. You shook your head in disbelief. But you did, and you did it for him. And, for a slight moment, you did not care for the consequence of your actions. For a slight moment, the thought of watching this man lose his life frightened you greatly.

But you also questioned yourself, why? You've only had one proper encounter with him, so why all this? Why were you so tempted to rescue him this morning, and why were you desperate to do the same tonight?

You crawled closer to the settee, and sat back, watching the outline and the features of his face. For someone who was feared by many, James Delaney appeared at his most innocent state whilst sleeping. And that mere sight just warmed your heart.

Kneeling up, you carefully leaned over, pressing your lips on his cheek, with a kiss that was the softest you have ever planted. For a second you wished for more. But you were grateful enough for just the one.

The last time you ventured on an emotional journey this complicated, was quite a while back, the mere thought of it made you wonder, were you actually starting to care for this man?

———————————————–

Deep in his slumber, the trees rustled in the wind, and there was James, dreaming, anticipating the visit of The Woman. There she appeared, and when he expected everything to be played out as usual, she seemed quite...different.

"You're hurt" her face had turned somber, her celestial voice laced with sadness. James felt the dream to be even more foreign when he saw a tear drop down her ethereal face.