Chapter 8: Confirmations

Brace opened the door with surprise.

"Good Morning Mr.Brace!" Your tone filled with cheer was quite a contrast to the morning chill.

"Again, it's just Brace" he insisted, smiling back at you, "And good morning to you lass". You were not foolish to notice how he was adamant in hiding his confusion with a smile.

"I'm sorry if I frightened you," you said, slightly bowing in apology as he motioned you to enter, "I was out for a walk.... I'm... quite an early bird I suppose" you added, explaining yourself, deciding not to mention news about the 'unfortunate' death you were made aware of this morning.

"Well at least have some breakfast then"

You nodded in acknowledgment to his suggestion, slowly looking around the living room, preferably the stairs, before finding a seat at the table. Being the older of the two, Brace seemed to have guessed what had occupied this young woman's thoughts.

"He has not come back yet"

When Brace spoke you quickly covered your mouth in sheer embarrassment for you were just caught in the act.

"And I suppose he will not return for a while" you said casually, as you picked up a boiled egg. Brace looked over to you with raised eyebrows.
"And I suppose you have already gotten used to life in this household Ms. Y/N" he teased, making you chuckle. Breaking off the eggshell in little by little, you did not have the heart to see an old man like Brace pour you your tea.

"Oh Brace, let me ..." you got up, hands reaching out to grab the teapot from him. "Nonsense...you are a guest here, lass" he moved the teapot away, refusing your assistance. You sighed, smiling.

"I know but....at least let me help you lighten the workload" you suggested, watching him as he poured a cup. Chuckling, the man placed the pot back on the table."I don't think there is much work here that needs to be lightened, lass"

Finally breaking off the shell, you took a bite of the boiled egg, when you heard him continue:

"Perhaps James would not mind if I provide you with an extra key"

This time it was you who raised your eyebrows. "What makes you think I will be here for long?" you asked teasingly.

"A gut feeling does" he said, handing you the cup with a warm smile. As you accepted the tea, you felt as if you were accepted as well. A feeling you have not felt in ages.

—————————————————-

It was only this morning that you received an education by Brace regarding the details of the previous owner of the room you resided in. Since it was James' own mother, you felt a sense of reverence for her whenever you entered the room, regardless of her situation.

Still not accustomed to the all the free time given to you by unemployment, you went through your bag, pulling out a small, old leather bound book. As you flipped through it, you slowly sat on the bed. It has been quite some time since you have made an entry in your journal, due to certain inconveniences. But even if you were to make one now, you dis need to borrow some writing tools, since you did not have access to Godfrey's. Turning to the last page, you sighed heavily laying eyes on the written text:

1804 – fail //// //// //// ///

1805- fail //// //// //// //

1806- fail //// //// //

1807- fail //// //// //

1808- fail //// ////

1809- fail //// ///