Chapter 9

Kass

Who am I?

The question rattles around my aching head.

What am I?

An all-powerful Elementalist, who can control the earth?

Hell. I can't be. That can't be me. . .

A kid from Quillin who wants to see the stars?

No. All of that, that life, is nothing but a lie.

Am I even Kitty's brother? Niven's friend?

Who knows? I am nobody, now. They are all gone. I will never see them again.

I huddle further into the deepest, darkest corner of my room—no, not my room, this room—and bury my head in my hands. Trying everything I can to just breathe.

Breathe.

But I can't.

Not anymore.

'Kass?'

There's a voice, by my shoulder—I look up and it's her, that girl, Samma—Sammi?—crouched down beside me.

'Here, take this.'

She's pressing something into my hands.

'Where . . . where. . ?'

'Shh. Don't talk. Just breathe.' She moves my hands, with the gentlest touch, up to my face, helping me press the inhaler to my lips. Slow, steady hands circle my back, and—and if anything, it makes everything hurt more. . .

'G-Go a-aw-w-ay.'

'No.' She sits beside me and to my horror, lays her head on my shoulder. 'We're in this together. I know you don't know me and I don't know you. But, I guess I don't feel lonely knowing that whatever I am, you're one too.' She takes my hand and squeezes it; I try my best to squeeze back, but I just feel so weak. Everything feels so weak.

She understands. At least, I think she does.

'We'll work this out, Kass, okay? Together. I promise.'

And although I don't believe her, it's nice to hear. Even if it is just another lie.

*

Singavere. I can't believe we're actually going. If Niven could see me—the look on his face. He'd be so jealous. I think of the one-way ticket stashed in his room that he worked so hard to get, now probably nothing but ash. I wonder if he'd be glad that I'm going instead.

It's early morning when we leave RESIST headquarters, Eldred, Brie, Sammi and I. Musa is staying behind, much to the dismay of Sammi; they'd argued, and I couldn't help agreeing with Sammi. His decision to remain with the Resisters was odd, abrupt. He'd been so aggressive in wanting to stay by Sammi's side, always. Why now, would he change his mind?

'It'll only be for a few days,' Eldred consoles her, as we traipse through the blackened tree-stumps towards the Wormhole. 'You'll be together before you know it. Cotton just needs to discuss something with him; I'm sure you'll understand soon enough.'

Sammi averts her red-rimmed eyes and stalks off ahead, determined to walk alone.

It's spitting, the morning air thick with a dank, ashen fog, so cold that I've pulled my mohair right up to my chin to stop me shivering. Yet, the moment we disappear into the Wormhole's rippling void and emerge on the other side . . . holy crap.