Chapter 29

Kass

I stand on the edge of a cliff, with the last two people that I love in this world asleep behind me as I weep.

I've never felt so alone. I've never felt so alive.

I finally know my purpose. Our purpose.

Whilst we live, there are people on Tellus that know the truth. Eldred and the Ra have to be stopped.

Nothing else matters.

Nothing.

I glance behind me as the mist casts them into shadow. Sammi, her hair spread out like a fan around her, lips slightly parted as though talking in a dream. I know who she dreams of. Who she always dreams of.

Who she's determined she will never see again.

Rai, with his slow, peaceful breathing, his midnight-blue hair sparkling with diamond raindrops. Rai, with the purest heart I have ever known. Locked behind a barrier I cannot break.

He's a step ahead of me, somewhere I can't follow.

And I don't know how to get him back.

But—whilst there's breath in my body—I won't give up on him. On Sammi. On us.

I stare out over the edge of the cliff, over the world that I love that's slowly killing us all.

And I remember that moment when Rai looked me in the eye and told me:

'They think of earthquakes and hurricanes and assume we're the same, just forces of destruction. But we're not. You're not. You're about life.'

I remember when we put our hands on that withered root. And together, made a leaf grow.

I can almost picture that leaf, the greenest thing I've ever seen, sitting so still, so perfect, beneath the palm of my hand.

As long as I remember that, maybe there's still hope that we'll be okay.

That we aren't about death.

We're about life.

The End