Chapter 18

Sammi

It's time.

The three Elementalists, Kass, Rai and I, stand beside Eldred at the edge of camp, where Squadron Three are preparing to go. Rows of soldiers stand, eyes sharp and shoulders determined, whilst Paolera paces each line, barking orders so fast they make my head spin.

'Once Squad Two reach the gate, we're on stand-by and must be ready at a moment's notice-'

'As soon as we receive signal from Sergeant Allen of Squad Four-'

'Everyone carry out your final checks-all wormholes must be in complete working order. Any signs of malfunction should be reported immediately-'

'The hurricanes will be active when we teleport in-remember your training. Staying focused on the Futurists despite the winds is more important than anything else-'

The longer it goes on, more beads of sweat slowly trickle down the soldiers' brows, freezing on their eyebrows, mingling with the snowflakes. Tanner told us they've never been on such a big a mission before. His eyes are unusually bright; if I didn't know better, I'd say he's scared.

Kass stares sternly ahead, his scars making his face stiffer and fiercer than ever. Rai, meanwhile, fiddles absent-mindedly with the filters on his neck as he watches Paolera, Henry perched on his shoulder. A swell of protectiveness floods through me as I look at my boys, both by my side, and on instinct, I grab their hands. They turn to me, but I don't look back.

How can I. All I can think of is how glad I am that Musa isn't here too. He's the only one of my boys that I've managed to keep safe.

'A word, please?'

None of us reply. Eldred hovers to our right; I don't know about the boys, but I can't even bare to look at him. It's time we learnt our place. Really, Eldred? Well, if we didn't before, we sure do now.

Eldred huffs. 'You're still annoyed at me? Oh, come on! Look, I never claimed to be good with kids, I said that from the start, didn't I, Puffin?'

Kass snorts, but doesn't answer.

Eldred tuts. 'Well, what can you do. All I've ever done is try and help you, and this is the thanks I get.' He sighs, thoroughly milking his part of playing the martyr. 'It's fine. In time, I'm sure you'll come to understand. Maybe I should feel flattered; it's not like any of you have families to take your tempers out on. If I have to bear the brunt, so be it.'

I swing around, unable to contain myself a second longer. 'Family? You-You think you're our family?'

He smiles his crooked, roguish smile. 'Well, of course. We are a family, aren't we? It takes more than blood to make a family, you know. Lies, secrets, a strong will to protect, loyalty. . . All markers of a pretty normal family, wouldn't you say?'

'What do you want, Eldred?' Kass says flatly. 'We're done talking about family.'

'I came to give you this.' Eldred digs deep in his pockets and withdraws a small, shimmering orb, similar to the ones Paolera has given us to get to Zlansk. As the only one facing him, I let him tip it into my hands.

'Another wormhole?'

'Yes.' Eldred nods. 'This one will take you to the third capsule, the Gamma-Cap.'

'Why are you giving this to us now?' Rai sets Henry loose and swings from his lower handlebars, his heels skimming the ground. Eldred watches him with an amused expression.

'Just in case. I've got a feeling that things are going to get a little hectic.'

'We don't even know where the third capsule is,' I say.