Chapter 22

Rai

Singavere is on fire. Singavere is on fire.

Something breaks. Deep inside me. It—has—

Kass holds me as I scream, as I shake my neck so hard it might snap. 

But no feelings of warmth flood through me. Nothing calms the tide within me, nothing douses the scorching agony inside my chest

'Here, take this.'

The cuffs on my wrists fall away. Kass's arms tighten around me—is he trying to hold me together?—and in the midst of the chaos, General Jinaka seizes me by the shoulders. Our eyes meet. Our pain is the same.

'Take it.' His voice is a sinking ship. He presses something smooth and round into my hands. 'Use it. Find Fina. Please, you must listen to her, you must understand. If you don't, and RESIST takes over. . . Just find her. Bring her home.'

Charlie baulks. 'But—But Sir! Th-That's the—'

'The Ultimate Wormhole. I know.'

'Y-You can't give that to the enemy! What are you thinking?'

'I'm thinking we need every soldier at our disposal dispatched to Singavere. I'm thinking that if these kids continue to fight for RESIST, we're doomed. The wars will come again, just like last time. Oh, and also? I'm thinking that these two boys wouldn't dream of betraying us. Because we'll still hold the air Elementalist captive.

'So, you best bring Fina back, boys. Or you'll never see your friend again.'