Chapter 2 - The Girlfriend

Wednesday, October 10th

     There were three things in life Jesse hated more than his father; soccer, Calix' sexuality and shopping. Though, yet again, Jesse's girlfriend Yoni had persuaded him to go shopping, like she did at least once a month.

Jesse rather kept his money safe on his bank account—unless it was to defy his father's wishes and take, for instance, a huge tattoo—while Yoni loved to spend all her money on clothes and make-up. And sometimes a new book because she loved to read, and the smell of a new book was her favourite scent.

As if she was Hermione from Harry Potter, who preferred the scents of freshly mowed grass, toothpaste and parchment. Jesse knew that by heart since Yoni had already forced him to binge-watch the entire series of movies multiple times during their relationship.

Yoni was completely different from Jesse in every way possible. For starters, she loved soccer, her father was her role model, and she was a goody two-shoes. Yoni had never done anything that was considered even remotely illegal. The worst she had ever done to anyone was cutting off the hair of her older sister's barbie doll out of revenge for losing hers during a vacation.

If they had anything in common, it was their shared hatred towards their own siblings. And while Jesse liked Yoni's siblings, Yoni liked his brothers. Even though, according to Jesse, there was hardly anything likeable about them.

If he had to be nice and point out something he liked about his brothers, he'd say Ivy had a decent sense of humour, Hayden liked the same games as Jesse, and Gregory didn't blindly follow their father's wishes.

Though for some reason their father admired Gregory's independent mind, it was always looked down upon when Jesse didn't instantly listen. In Gregory's case, it had resulted in him not doing the study their father had wanted him to do, and since he was doing a decent job at his current studies, their father turned around 180 degrees and stood behind his decisions.

When Jesse had recently told his parents he wanted to sign up for Media-Entertainment Management, his father had simply told him 'no', and acted as if the discussion was closed.

Jesse still signed up for three schools that offered the program he was looking for and ignored his father's wish to become something like an attorney, or a doctor, or whichever profession would land him big bucks if he succeeded.

Jesse wanted to stand behind the cameras and maybe even one day shoot his own movie or series. He wondered what his father's response would be when he found out Jesse was following his own path, even if he had said 'no'.

In Yoni's case, she was following in the footsteps of her father, wanting to become a nurse and help people. It was fitting for sweet, innocent Yoni, who could handle blood better than he did.

And he knew, because she had patched him up on several occasions after he had done something stupid.

"Jesse!" Yoni shook him by his shoulders, waking him up from his train of thoughts. "I asked, what do you think?" She stepped back and twirled in a pirouette to show the dress she was wearing. Any other guy would have thought she looked hot, and while he knew she did, he just didn't feel it.

"Looks great, babe," he answered, more because he knew it was morally right to tell her she looked great, no matter what she was wearing, than because he actually agreed on it. In his opinion, Yoni looked best when she wore an oversized sweater that belonged to him, and a pair of sweatpants.

Because that's how he liked Calix the most; in comfortable clothes, in his room, playing games and having fun. Well, apart from Calix without any shirt at all.