Chapter 20 - The Break-Up

Saturday, October 27th

     Even while Jesse knew Axel and Calix were still his friends, going to a public place scared the shit out of him anyway. Calix and Axel had assured him that they hadn't told anyone else about his sexuality. But people knew about Yoni and Donna, since Axel had been incapable of holding his anger in. He confronted Donna about her dating Yoni in front of half the school.

Which was one of the reasons Jesse was nervous. People knew Yoni and Donna were going on a date, and that would probably lead to questions about his relationship with Yoni.

He could tell people he knew, but he had no explanation as to why they were still together.

Well, no explanation without telling them he was fine with her dating a girl because he was gay himself.

What a mess it was.

"Just tell them it's none of their business," Loek said, while they were heading over to Yoni together.

They weren't visiting her for a fun talk. No, Jesse had texted Yoni the typical 'we need to talk' message, and the only reply he got was 'I agree'. Well, that, and another text asking him if he could meet her at home. Loek, Calix and Axel had agreed to drop him off, before heading over towards Gringo's. Apparently, Loek was free for the night.

And it did make sense that Loek was going out with their group of friends, since most of them were in their soccer team too, just like Loek.

"I know it's none of their business," Jesse replied with a sigh. "But now that Axel and Calix know about me, I kind of just want the whole coming out thing over with, if that makes sense?

"Yeah, it does. It feels liberating, doesn't it?" Loek smiled, and Jesse nodded in reply. He did feel liberated now that Calix and Axel knew practically everything about him, and they still wanted to be friends.

And suddenly, he wondered if they knew about Loek, and if the rest of their friends knew too.

"So, do they know... about you?" Jesse turned his head to look at Loek, after he made sure Axel and Calix were far enough behind not to hear his question.

"Calix and Axel, do, yes. I told them what was going on, how we met. You know, they wanted to know why you were staying with me."

"Oh, that makes sense." Jesse nodded along with his words, slowing down his bike when Yoni's house came into view. "So, where do we meet tonight?"

"Your call. Do you want to see the rest of your friends?" Loek slowed his bike too and smiled warmly at him. "Just text me if you're not willing to go to Gringo's, and I'll come out so we can head over to Unity together."

"Sounds good, but I think I'll go to Gringo's anyway. Can't keep hiding forever, and I'd rather have them ask things while drunk, so they might forget half of my answers."

Loek laughed, and shook his head in disbelief. "Well, let me know," he repeated when Jesse stopped in front of the driveway.

"I will, thanks."

"Good luck," Calix told him when they caught up with them. "Remember, she isn't mad or anything."

"I know." Jesse smiled weakly. "See you at Gringo's."

They said their goodbyes, and Jesse walked up the driveway to place his bike in the shed. Yoni already opened the backdoor, and smiled at him unsurely.

"Hey," Jesse greeted her, and just because they were used to it, they kissed each other on the lips.

"Good to see you again. I was worried."

"I was scared, so I kept quiet for a few days to figure things out," Jesse admitted shyly. "But I think I've figured out what I want."