Chapter 3 - The Father

Thursday, October 11th

     There was something highly depressing about being at home. While it had its advantage Jesse had his bedroom far away from the rest, it did make him feel a bit isolated whenever he was home.

His mother didn't even bother to call him down for dinner. No, she texted him because it was too much effort to walk to the back of the house, and call up for him to come down.

And that was if they remembered he was at home too. There had been plenty of dinners he missed because they never informed him food was ready, and since they didn't allow him to warm it up, he had to eat cold food. His father always told him it was his punishment for staying away for dinner.

Jesse never even bothered to fight over it, and instead just ordered a pizza and waited outside so his parents wouldn't notice.

Today, however, his mother sent him a text telling him dinner was ready, and he reluctantly dragged himself down the stairs and towards the kitchen. He knew they would scowl at him since he had stayed out until way after curfew and sneaked in while they already went to bed.

"Well look who's there." His father sneered as soon as he entered the kitchen, slumping down in his seat right opposite from his father. His mother didn't dare to look up, knowing things would probably end in a fight. "The lost son has returned."

Jesse clenched his jaws, but kept his mouth shut, waiting for his parents and brother Ivy to finish loading food onto their plate.

"Where have you been?" His father asked, not looking at him. He focused on his food, thinking Jesse wasn't worth to look at most of the time.

"Out." He shrugged, pulled up the sleeves of his hoodie, and instantly saw both his parents' eyes flickering towards the tattoo with disapproval in them.

"You're grounded, remember?"

"When am I ever not?" Jesse rolled his eyes, and started putting the left-overs of food onto his plate as soon as Ivy sat back. He was biting his lip, and Jesse knew he would soon leave if this would turn into a discussion. Ivy hated the fights between Jesse and their father, and he rather avoided it.

"Exactly. Why are you ever out when you're not at school or playing soccer?" His father placed his hands down on the table, took in a breath and looked up. "Why don't you ever listen?"

Jesse shrugged, not answering since he knew it did no good to talk back, and today he didn't feel like fighting. He just wanted peace and quiet.

"And now that we're talking about not listening..." His father pointed his fork towards Jesse. "I made an appointment for you to get rid of that hideous drawing. You'll have to hurry after school on Wednesday, so I'll pick you up and personally make sure you will make it to your first appointment."

"What?" Jesse let out a humorous laugh. "No."

"Excuse me?" His father placed down his cutlery, and his mother bent her head further down, while Ivy seemed to get ready to leave and eat in his room. "You are getting that... thing... removed. Be glad I'm willing to pay for it instead of taking it out of your allowance."

"What allowance, Felipe?" Jesse snorted. "I haven't gotten allowance in years."

"We're saving it for y..." His mother timidly spoke, but his father sent her a simple look, silencing her in the process.

"Wednesday, after school, you will go to your appointment. We do not tolerate such... cheap... body decoration." He spat out.

"I'll be in my room..." Ivy mumbled, getting up from his seat, hurrying out of the kitchen after sending Jesse a look full of pity.