Red Thread

It was a warm evening tonight and the sky was full of stars. Shizuo sat on the ground with an almost finished cigarette in his mouth as he looked around the area. He was in his high school, the place he first met the raven-haired guy named Izaya. A simple annoying smirk from him was enough to irritate the blond and make him want to send the guy flying. Both he and Izaya wondered their lifes long how everything would've been if Shizuo decided to get to know Izaya first and gave him a proper chance instead of immediately looking at him as an enemy. The blonde man buried his face in his hands and sighed a deep sigh of regret. He missed Izaya so much that he couldn't take it anymore. He was thinking about his loved one 24/7 and so did Izaya. Trying to talk to Celty about what happened resulted in her advising him to speak to Izaya, being sure that he didn't mean it or had his reasons for saying those things. But did Shizuo have the courage to talk to him? ...No... He was anxious about the idea of speaking to him and felt unwanted by Izaya. Who wouldn't after what he said to him? And besides, what would he even say to him? 'Hi, Izaya! I'm back again, even though you made it pretty clear that you want me out of your life! Yet here I am, wanting to talk to you about it!' Yes, just great. Definitely doesn't come across as desperate.

Shizuo was about to take out another cigarette when he heard noises not far away. He turned around, but saw no one. "Strange..., maybe someone's inside the building?" And he was on his feet and then already walking to the nearest door. He opened it and after he looked around for a bit, he noticed someone sitting at the table in the cafeteria. The person appeared to be a guy his age and his face was hidden in thin folded arms. It looked like he was crying, trembling and shaking. Shizuo stepped closer and because the guy still didn't notice him, he tapped him on his shoulder, asking if he was alright. When the person looked up, both gasped in surprise. It was him... "Sh-Shizu-chan?" It was Izaya. The raven had a tired look with bags under his red, teary eyes. When he looked up, he rubbed his eyes cutely as if he just woke up. "I-Izaya? What are you doing here? And why ar-" "I could ask you the same question. Why are YOU here?" The blond ended up sitting beside the raven and as much as he wanted to sit even closer he still managed to resist that temptation. "Izaya, you're crying.", he mumbled out the fact, expecting to get an explanation. He rubbed away the tears and Izaya wasn't even resisting. By the look in Izaya's eyes it was obvious that he missed him too, but his partner, or should I rather say 'ex', still had to recognize that. Izaya's hand kept Shizuo's on his cheek as he looked deeply into his hazel eyes and the blond caressed his cheek softly, returning the look. For a few minutes, none of them dared to speak up before Shizuo asked: "Izaya, why did you come here tonight?" Breaking the gaze, Izaya let go of the other's hand. "This place...it brings back a lot of memories. A-are you here for the same reason?" A shy nod was the answer. "The place we first met..." "Yeah, where I cut your chest the moment I saw you...", he mumbled gloomily. "Don't you think it was more of a mistake from my side to attack you like that?" Izaya shook his head: "It was natural to hate me." The blond still couldn't believe that Izaya thought that it was normal for him to be hated. He examined his sad expression and his dull red eyes carefully and felt the need to hold him close. But the moment he tried to, Izaya held his hands up in front of him to prevent him from doing so. "Shizu-ch-...Shizuo..don't get attached to me..., please." "Why?" "Beca-" "Why?! Why are you pushing me away?!" Izaya's eyes widened at Shizuo's outburst, and he automatically flinched, expecting a punch. But Shizuo just started crying while still mumbling the word 'why' over and over again. Izaya was startled and when he saw Shizuo so sad, he gave him a very hesitant kiss on the cheek. His brain was scolding him for it while his heart was burning. When the blond froze, he froze as well. "I-I I'm sorry for making you cry." Shizuo stood up and slammed his hands on the table, looking deadly serious. "Tell me one thing Izaya, only one thing. Did you ever love me? Or was I just a fool to hope for it?" Gulping, he didn't say a word back at the waiting man, who grew more and more impatient. "Tell me! Don't I deserve to know the truth?"

"Izaya...I like you."

Again, that long ago heard sentence popped up in his mind. Should he say the truth? Yes, no, yes, no. The two words that could make the biggest change ever, the ones that could either destroy or save a life.

"I do too..." "What? Speak up, I can't hear anything you say!" "I said, I do too! I like you too! Okay?! I love you!" Shizuo sat back down, not breaking eye contact with Izaya for even a second. "Then..then why? Why did you send me away? Why are you pushing me back? Why?" Izaya felt like running out of there or simply disappear into thin air instead of answering those questions, but he knew that he couldn't run from this conversation any longer. "I saw how sad you were because of me. Upset about me feeling so bad. I created unnecessary problems and worries for you. I had to send you away so you wouldn't have a burden like me on you and so you could find someone who deserves you, someone who's better. I-I didn't want to h-harm you." At the end, Izaya was a sobbing mess, and he tried to hide his face out of embarrassment, desperate to suppress the tears from flowing. "I'm so, so sorry Shizu-chan! I wanted to protect you. I-" He was interrupted by a tight hug that squeezed him firmly. "You're an idiot, you know that, right? You don't know how happy I was because I could be close to you. I finally felt complete for once. You hurt me not by letting me stay, but by sending me away, silly. I love you and it's only natural to worry about the one you care for or be upset if they aren't feeling well. I..I actually started thinking you never loved me Izaya. I felt like it was my fault and as if I failed on helping you." Shizuo was now in tears too and was glad that he finally had Izaya's shoulder to cry on instead of a soaked pillow. "How? How can you love ME?" Izaya still couldn't believe Shizuo. The ex-bartender pulled away to look at him and took his right hand gently, caressing each finger soothingly. "You may not see it, but our hands are connected with a little red thread of fate." Izaya looked to the side as his heart trembled and fought against the strong harming thorns that shut it. "I promise I'll protect you! Even when everything might seem to be dark, I'll be the light to guide you. You don't have to be lonely anymore Izaya." "No...Everyone hates me...They will hate you too if you'll be with me." A hand softly stroked the black locks as the blonde man smiled and then leaned in for a pecking kiss. "I don't care what those idiots think. If they hate me without knowing who I am, then they should go to hell for all I care.", he said before adding: "I love you. That's all that matters." And at that moment Izaya just couldn't resist anymore and his heart broke free from this poisonous blue rose as the blue petals withered away and he threw himself into Shizuo's arms and let all the pain he felt out in tears. "I-I love y-you too." Only now did Izaya understand the true meaning of the withered rose. It wasn't Shizuo withering, but the pain the blue color represented. A smile of pure happiness spread across Shizuo's face upon hearing Izaya's words and he softly whispered: "Let's go home, ne?" And Izaya nodded before they headed off back home, leaving the hateful past and all the pain behind. In the place, their war began, it also ended. Ended fortunately with a happy outcome.

On the way, Shizuo noticed a flower bed with many different types of flowers like tulips, camilles, azaleas, and roses. The man gave Izaya a little smile and bent down to pick up a white rose. "Here Izaya.", he said as he handed over the brightly colored plant. Izaya stared at Shizuo's stretched out hand, blinking dumbfounded. "F-for me?" "Of course! Take it" He slowly accepted the flower, taking it with a swift elegant movement of his hand. A white rose...not a blue one like what he was used to. Not an unreachable desire, but the symbol of a new beginning. Not dirt and disgust, but pure innocence. A tear of happiness slid down his face as he looked up to look at the person he loved dearly and smiled. "Thank you." Shizuo froze at his reaction and then wrapped his arms around his lover, whispering "I love you." into his ear before hearing Izaya say the same loving words back to him. The informant took Shizuo's hand and intertwined their fingers, the rose in between. Even though it was not visible to the bare eye, both of them could feel the red thread tied around their hands as light and soft as a feather. Both looked at their intertwined hands and then at each other before sealing their lips in an eternal burning love for one another. A new beginning for a love that was always there, tightly connected with one single little thread of fate in the color of love. The strong thread that kept them connected and close for all this time. The read thread of happiness~

Author's note:

Hope you enjoyed this little story~ Let me know what you liked about it and what I could maybe improve! It makes me very happy to see people reading my fanfictions and it makes me want to continue writing more <3