F O U R T E E N

I opened my eyes, and saw the familiarly sweet face of Sylwanin. I smiled and followed her. She became more rushed as smoke rose above the clouds. I knew where this was going, I thought. But no, I saw two humans setting fire to the camp I was in. I got close, knowing they couldn't see me, and listened in.

"We'll find her here," one yelled. "The traitor can't hide from us!"

"Yeah, man," the other said. "Iris is going down!"

I shot awake, startling Ryder. I jumped on his back, and commanded him to fly. We soared over the village, and I saw them.

"THERE SHE IIIIIISS," one yelled, the blonde man who spoke first. He looked like a villain, until his evil smile turned into a scared one. I made Ryder dive, and he snatched the human up. The other screamed, and dropped a torch.

The fire from the torch caught the dry grass on fire. I gasped. Then, I commanded Ryder to scream. It was a high pitched, ugly scream, that woke the ones who hadn't when the twatute screeched. They began yelling and howling, running from the flames. I could feel my anger rising.

The other human aimed his gun at me. I didn't know what happened, I just threw my finger at him, and a wave crashed down on him and the fire, washing them away. I stared, shaking my head. The locals watched me like I was special. It was just a coincidence.

I hopped off of Ryder, and a woman neared me. She said her daughter had been shot. She'd been found out in the woods. I knew she had to go to Eywa. The All Mother could save her.

I nodded.

"Is there any link to Eywa around here," I asked.

"Yes," the leader woman said. "There is a cave leading to roots which glow with Eywa's power."

"Take me there, now. Quickly."

I didn't know what I'd do, but I knew tsahik Mo'at had taught me a bit. I carried the young girl to the place the leader woman lead me. There, to our surprise, was a very young Na'vi boy. I quickly walked around him, and set the girl below the roots. I shooed the boy and the leader out of the entrance a ways.

Then, I turned to the roots. I sat, closed my eyes, and chanted what Mo'at told me. I kept chanting, until my mind pulsed. I felt something latch onto my wrists. Then a gasp, not mine, but the girls. I opened my eyes and watched her. She opened her eyes and looked at me. I smiled. I felt very weak.

She smiled too. I disconnected the vines from her braid, and they went back up to the ceiling a ways. I was glad it worked. I didn't know of it would.

I motioned for her to leave, and laid down. I was very tired. Who knew using the power of Eywa was so tiring? The tsahiks never showed it, at least. I felt like I was gonna fall asleep, until I heard a boys voice.

"Miss," the voice asked. I looked up.

"How do you know english," I asked, suddenly a bit more awake.

"I was taken to the human camp when I was a babe. Then, they brought me back a few months ago. I learned a lot..."

"Ah, I see, I am sorry then."

"Don't be. Of course, my mother got herself killed, but she was mean. The clan was glad to be rid of her. This isn't even my clan..."

"What is your clan?" I motioned for him to come over. He sat beside me.

"Adonae, a hidden clan that lives in caves such as this. They're near the nesting grounds, the floating mountains. Just below them, though, in a mountain side."

"That's cool. I've never heard of them."

"They're not recorded in any books, as far as I've known. I've never seen any others, though. I just know where it is on a map."

Little nerd, huh?...

I nodded. He seemed like he wanted to ask a question. I gave him a curious look. He just sighed, and sat with his knees to his chest. His hands and feet were calloused and dirty. His knees and elbows were skinned. I gave him a simpathetic look. He just shook his head.

"Can I stay with you," he finally asked, after a few moments. I gave him an astonished look. He just pleaded with his eyes. "I don't have a family. And I feel human even though I'm full Na'vi. I can't stay here. I can't survive on my own!"

"Okay, okay, let's say this. When I get back to my clan, I'll take some time later on to take you to your clan. Even if you don't want to stay. Everyone deserves a home."

"Yes, yes, oh yes! Thank you so much! Wait, what do I call you? My name given by the humans was Seth."

"Well, Seth, I am Iris."

"Nice name, Iris. I like it."

"Thanks, Seth." I yawned, and stood. I motioned for Seth to follow and he did so, a new bounce in his step. He followed me out. Ryder waited patiently outside.The girl's mother came to me, and embraced me. She was hysterical.

Once she was removed, I notified the leader lady I had to go. She nodded in understanding, and I climbed onto Ryder's back. The natives had given him a saddle while we were down there, apparently.

It was comfortable. Seth sat in front of me, and I sat on a higher up part of the seat. It was adorned in shells, bones, and small bags of goodies. A young girl came up right before we left, and handed me a glass bottle full of swirling sand, with what looked like a billion shades of yellow. It was beautiful. I nodded in thanks, and commanded Ryder to fly.

By the looks from the air, that was just one part of the large colony of people. Farther down was a humongous village. And even farther still was a medium one. They were all connected by a series of paths. The beach dropped and became one with the sea, giving way to a high-standing cliff. The sun was just rising, and thousands of shades of red, orange, pink, yellow, and blue splayed themselves across the never-ending sky. Seth let out a "woo hoo." I did as well.

I smiled and internally thanked Sylwanin for the warning. I felt a warmth in the back of my neck. I somehow knew she was saying 'you're welcome,' from somewhere above me. Or below me, with Eywa. Wherever they were. I was glad they had helped me. I prayed to Eywa everything was okay when I got back. Oh well, it is what it is.

I turned Ryder away from the sunrise, and faced him to where we came from. He roared a loud, thundering, roar, and it sent pa'li flying in frenzies. Nantang and hammerhead titanosaurs and even a thanator raced down under us as we rode by. It was a beautiful sight. I knew I'd find a way to stay here. I had to. This was my home. I clipped the bottle of sand to the part of the saddle below me. Then, reached into the saddle bag to see whether they packed any edible goodies.

I pulled out a beige colored fruit, then another, and handed one to Seth in front of me. He scarfed his down, while I just snacked on mine.

Today's another day, I thought absent mindedly. Today's another day...