F I F T E E N

Seth, the young boy, slept against her chest. They'd decided to sleep for a few hours since they'd been awake all night, basically. Seth slept soundly as he rolled over, and under one of Ryder's wings. But, Iris couldn't sleep. She was scared. Terrified kind of scared.

While they were flying, right before she suggest they rest to the sleepy-eyed boy, she made a realization. She hadn't gone back to her human body. She didn't wake up in her link. She never said good night to Grace, or good morning to Norm, or hello to the normally snarky Trudy. Maybe, she thought wildly, it was because Sylwanin contacted me. But, then why didn't I still have to fall asleep in my human body?

I'll find out when I sleep now, she finally told herself. This would be the final test: A simple nap.

When she opened her eyes, she saw the most regal, most beautiful, Na'vi woman she'd ever seen. She wore shells, bones, leaves, bark, beads, and pieces from what seemed like hundreds of different clans.

"Yes, child, there used to be hundreds of clans," the woman said, startling Iris.

"But, where are they," Iris asked, not questioning the lady since that was how Sylwanin was. All white, glowy, and regal, that is.

"They killed themselves, infighting," the lady replied, touching a few gemstone beads, each a different shade of blue. "You were wondering why you didn't go back to your human body, correct?"

"How did?.... Yes, I was, miss...?"

"Silly child, I am Eywa."

Iris gasped and stared, then gave a concentrated look.

"Have you been sending Sylwanin to me? Yes, where's my body? How's Jake? Is Tsu'tey alright? Seth is still okay, correct?"

"Now, now, hold on there, Iris. Your human body is gone. I commanded Jake to bring it to me when we talked. They're in danger. They need you and Jake, together, my daughter."

"They're in danger, but why? Is it Quaritch?!"

"Yes, with the mother-ship. Go, now, wake Seth and fly. You have been asleep for around two days already, I don't want anyone else getting hurt."

"Yes ma'am, but, wait.... Why did you call me daughter?"

"You didn't think you had no mother, now, did you?"

She smiled happily, and closed her eyes tight. When she saw the blinding light fade, She shot awake.

She immediately realized she was in danger. She was beside a hissing Ryder. He had scratches and cuts, and some hungry looking nantang awaited for their next meal. She snatched Seth up, scaring the boy awake. She jumped onto Ryder's back, and he flew off without waiting. She connected, and made shahaylu, then commanded him towards the ever-growing cloud of smoke.

She saw it, just in time, the warship. The Na'vi had just been smoked out. She dove, Seth screaming, at the ship. She hit the roof, the heavy creature screeching as it landed with a jolt. Then, they saw they were too late, as the rockets came crashing onto the tree's supports. Gunners on the ship's roof fired at her. With one tail swing, they were sent flying away. The others ran to nearby scorpions, jumping in the windows.

She commanded Ryder down, and they picked up as many people as possible. Kids first, then two women. She caught sight of Tsu'tey's Ikran, it's belly pointing at her. She wondered if her closest mentor was alive. She could only hope.

Time raced against the five or so people on the back of Ryder. She dropped them off, along with Seth, and went back for more people. She picked up about three more, and was going for more, until the tree began to fall. She flew, as fast as her loving companion could carry her. A branch came towards them. In the distance, she saw Seth scream.