S I X T E E N

Iris groaned. Well, she thought she did. It could have been the giant Ikran with its large, heavy, head laid on top of Iris' stomach. Iris opened her eyes, and saw the small form of Seth beside her in the light. Mo'at saw she was awake, and just gave a heavy, saddened, nod. Iris did the same.

As soon as she gently pushed Seth off, she saw the bruises she'd somehow encountered while rescuing, or maybe while fleeing the debris.

She stood and took Mo'at's hand. She all at once remembered a dream she had from Sylwanin once. She leapt out across the crowd, running through them. Tsu'tey tried to stop her, but she bypassed him at the Ikran and leapt once more, into Ryder's back. They flew up, up, up and over the trees. And saw it.

Just like before. The tree was down. It was fallen, dead, burning. It wasn't visibly on fire, but great plumes of smoke came up, engulfing patches of clean air with the missile-caused smog that dirtier the air.

She began to sob. Ryder let out an angered screech, a mix between a normal cry and a war cry. He sounded angry. Because Iris was angry.

Iris wanted to rip the skin off of the two fools who caused this. She'd find Grace, then she'd find Jake. Then, finally, she'd kill Quaritch and Selfridge. First, though, was Grace.

Ryder swooped around on Iris' command, and began back towards the camp near the Tree of Souls. But, she sees the shadow. Toruk. Shed killed one of his kind with her strong Ikran. She would again. But, the call of an all-too-familiar voice made her smile, despite her hatred sitting, gurgling in her stomach.

Jake called out to Iris, and they landed side by side. She nodded at him, sort of glad he was alive. She admired the large animal, careful not to look into its eyes. She ran her hand along its broad head as Jake and Neytiri made contact after their squabble in the fires. Iris made a sad whimper as she felt her heart ache for her mentor, watching sadly. Then, his eyes darted immediately to Iris.

For the split second their eyes met, the green of his against the bright orange of hers, she felt her heart explode. The purple that tinted his face as his saddened look became a smile was all too real. She felt happy. The large beast rubbed his head on her in retort to the attention being swept away.

She chuckled and began to pet his head again. He was a more darker red than the one she killed. The one Ryder took down was also smaller. Maybe a younger sibling. She felt a pang if guilt, but she knew nothing would drag her from the skies, where she belonged. She wished she knew how, in her daze, she ended up two days away, by the coast.

She'd ask Tsu'tey later, she decided. Tsu'tey and Jake began talking, and Jake began to speak, with Tsu'tey translating. Jake gave a jarring speech. It brought tears to Iris' eyes. Never had she seen this side of him. She was glad she got to. Tom would be proud, she thought, and surprised herself.

She gave a lonely sigh. Jake and Neytiri ran to the beast, people departing to their Ikran and to the Direhorses to go to the different clans. Jake stopped in front of Iris.

"I was never a good friend," Jake began. Iris eyed him warily, despite his honest expression. "I cheated, lied, killed, but I never betrayed you. Until now. I know you don't know why, but when we get to the next clan, I'll tell you. I promise. I'll explain everything. Do you trust me?"

A long silence followed. Tsu'tey and Neytiri watched on, the natives anxious expressions boring down on the two friends, their eyes interlocked in a silent battle. Finally, Iris spoke.

"With my life." A smile slid into her facade. And she leapt onto Ryder, pulling Seth up with her, as Jake and Neytiri mounted Toruk. They took off, flying into the spreading sunset. It was like someone mixed thousands of shades of red, and orange, and peace and blue all up in an egg, and cracked it over the sky. It was beautiful.

Jake lead the way to the horse clans of the plains. Iris went to the Eastern Sea Clan to officially meet the leader. And to see if she could find a few new friends there. She'd seen some cool people there. She wanted to spend an actual, chill, night by the beach.

Seth waved at the others as Ryder landed with a few flaps and a thump. He called out and lowered to let the two off. Seth went to see the other children. The Tsahik leader lady met and greeted Iris with a hug.

They were quickly pulled away. The leader and a few other elders and young men began speaking all at once.

"Hold on, hold on, one at a time," Iris said, confused. "One at a time, please. Tsahik."

"You brought luck with you! The hunters and elders will explain, I have rising stocks to attend to!"

She walked away. Iris waited, thinking. Then, she pointed at the elders, motioning them to go first.

They told of how rare plants began sprouting right by camp. Yerik and Pa'li spawned for hunting right near the camp, as well. Then, the hunters and fishers went.

"Our fish are big and strong, yet come in easily, with nearly no fight," said one hunter.

"Yes," said another. "The yerik are powerful, strong and fat. But the plants even grow fat with leaves. The vines that connect us to Eywa, especially near where you slept, glow the brightest we've ever seen them."

"You are incredible," one young boy said. She remembered him from somewhere. But she'd think later. She embraced many children before last meal, telling them the story of how she took down the Toruk. They laughed and 'ooooed' and 'aaaaaahhed.' She enjoyed it. When last meal came, she left to sit alone on the beach.

When she noticed the person walking to her, she also noticed the smell of the wooden plate of food he was holding. She was quite hungry. He had a handsome, dark, sun kissed face. He also had a handsome smile. She took note of how he smiled especially hard when he got closer. He sat down not far away and sat the plate of sorts down.

"My name is Kye'lin," he introduced. "I know you are the lucky Iris. This is a thank you meal my sister, Mela, and I prepared ourselves. She couldn't make it due to a sore injury, which you fixed quite well."

"Oh, that was your sister," Iris asked, quizzically. "I'm glad she's okay. And it's nice to meet you, Kye'lin. May Eywa smile upon your gifts to me."

He beamed under her praise. She smiled as they began to eat the food, slowly, and talked for at least an hour or so. She'd become quickly accustomed to his hearty laughs and how it reminded her of Tom's. He also had this sense of pride, like Tsu'tey.

Eventually, he had to go. He looked a little sad, but none the less went upon his sister's yowling call to him. He waved and jogged away, kicking up sand behind him. She noticed how his back muscles clenched. She knew it was on purpose. The arrogance of his little show was all too noticeable. She scowled, knowing she still felt for her mentor.

She called to Ryder, and he flew from his resting spot on a nearby hill. She mounted him and they took to the sky, over the waves. They flew, basically gliding on the salty sea breeze. The cold fingers of a nearing gust gripped her bare arms and legs, but she didn't care. Thoughts swirled like raging winds through her head.

She liked Tsu'tey, yes, but he didn't like her back. Did he?

Did he really care for her?

Did Kye'lin actually make those himself?

Who could she trust?

Was Jake really okay?

Where were Grace and Norm?

As she willed the thoughts away, she looked up. Ryder shook his head, and when the dark clouds disappeared, they saw it. A large wave looming over them. She and Ryder both screamed in sync, and they turned, fleeing the potential deathly wave.