S E V E N T E E N

Iris and Ryder turned and raced back. The skies ahead of them, behind them, all around them were dark. The wave came very close to smacking her out of the sky, but missed as Ryder soared up at a ninety degree angle.

The wave hit the cliff's base, missing the village by a good bit. She sighed in relief and they landed in the cave they'd been in days before. They each went separate ways as Ryder went to explore and Iris went up the stone path, to the village.

It was night, and everyone was asleep, except for one person on the cliff side, hanging from a branch of an overhanging tree. She decided to scare him, and climbed up until she was under him. She then shook his leg and he screamed, falling into his butt on the grass.

He hissed at her and leapt up into the tree as she climbed all the way up, laughing hysterically. The village was a ways away from the edge, so she let herself be a little loud. He hissed again and dropped down.

"That was rude, stupid villager," he said, in perfect English. Iris was angry, but then confused.

"Woah, good english," Iris said. He looked at her, then to her hand. She raised it to reveal the five fingers. He held up a five fingered hand as well. They both stared at each other, and then he spoke....

"So lemme get this right," Iris said, laughing. "You escaped as a child, in your avatar. You survived, WITH YOUR HUMAN BODY HIDDEN, found this place, and went through the Eye of Eywa to become a full Na'vi?"

"Yep," Mark said, laughing. "That's my story. Spent my first nine years on Earth, and my next seven in space, and then fifteen here. I'm old, goodness... "

"You really are... I'm only like, what, twenty two?"

Iris yawned as she watched Mark climb into his tree nest thing. She smiled and walked down to the cliff side. Waking Ryder, she flew him up to the surface, and to the way the sun was rising. She'd have to sleep soon. Two days without sleep, besides the Eywa encounter, had drained her. Where would her body be. And where was Jake?

Questions once again buzzed around in her head, and she wished them away, and they went. She knew they'd be back. They always came back.

She sighed and rubbed her eyes. She decided she'd sleep. She'll find out whether her body is gone or not. She walks Ryder across the cliff. The sea air blows her hair into swirling tornadoes. They stop in a dip a far ways away from the village. She slides off and Ryder goes down to hang from the cliff.

She stands at the edge, then turns. She walks back and lays on a patch of moss. She sits for a while, still trying to finish thinking it over. The finality in her mind was clear: she would find the truth.

She closed her eyes, and slipped into darkness. Then, there was light. She saw Eywa and Sylwanin, playing...... Chess? Chess... They were playing chess.

Beside them was Grace, sitting in front of her own empty board. One side had white pieces on it. The other had none, waiting for them to be placed by the other player. Iris stared at Grace's body. Eywa noticed her and smiled sadly.
Sylwanin looked at Grace, and waved Iris over.

She went to sit in front of Grace, not of her own accord, but because some unknown force pulled her closer to the motherly figure.

"Grace," Iris said, her voice cracking. "I-I see you."

"Iris, my sweet child, there is no reason to be afraid. Look around! This vast astral plane is home to all of the passed Na'vi, animals, plants, and every living thing. Why are you sad," Eywa said, staring her down. Her white crystal eyes knew the answer, but she pushed.

"Grace, what happened," Iris asked, ignoring Eywa, but not on purpose. "Please, tell me the story I have so greatly missed."

"First," Grace said, "let's play. Your pieces are set up now."