Bank robbery Part 1

This is part one of two. Let me know what you think. Of course in part two the Intelligence and Hailey plays along.

Charlie hopped fidgety from one leg to the other. She was boring. She did not understand why it always took so long. Her father was standing in front of the ATM. He needed cash again, as he had no more.

"Dad!" Charlie whined, "Can we finally move on?"

"One more moment," Jay mumbled. He could not help that the machine took so long. Charlie was a very impatient child on such matters. Waiting and doing nothing was definitely not her strength.

Charlie sighed. Bored, she looked outside. A black SUV parked right in front of the entrance. These 4 people were dressed up - black clothes and mask.

"Dad, I think that ..." Charlie wanted to alert her dad to the 4 strange characters as they stormed the bank. One of them shot into the ceiling to get the attention.

Another gave concrete instructions that no security alarm should be pressed. Suddenly Jay turned around and took his daughter behind him. People were screaming, sometimes throwing themselves on the ground or trying to run away.

However, one of the men monitored the door, two others the passers-by, while the fourth brought the money. The guard stood in the way of the fourth. He really wanted to play the hero. He did not hesitate long and shot the guard, who at the same time pushed the red button to alert the police.

The sirens could be heard from a distance, and the first patrol cars in the vicinity were stationed in front of the bank.

One of the masked men forced a passerby to lower the shutters so that the emergency services would not get a view inside.

"All phones here!" one of them yelled.

Jay took the red children's smartphone from his daughter (he had bought one for her because of safety), unobtrusively dialing the number from Hank Voight on the speed dial key and silencing the conversation. So Hank Voight could hear anything from them, but they did not hear him. Then Jay hid the phone in his own pocket.

"Your phone," muttered one of the masked men, pointing at the pouch in his hand. Jay did not hesitate and threw in his own cell phone.

"Her phone too," he said.

"She doesn't have a own phone," Jay explained, pulling Charlie closer. The 6-year-old girl was almost in a state of shock. She stared at the masked man, who scared her.

"Are you kidding me?" He asked, "Every kid has a cell phone!"

"She's too young for a smartphone, don't you think so?" Jay said and the guy looked at Charlie. The man pulled Charlie closer. They kicked and punched around. She cried.

"Charlie, honey, stay calm, okay?" Jay said, watching the man search Charlie. When he found nothing, he pushed Charlie back to Jay.

"It's all right," Jay whispered, kneeling down to her height, "We sit down here and wait until the four bank robbers leave, huh? The other 8 civilians are also sitting on the ground." Jay emphasized it again, so that Hank on the other line knew exactly what happened and how many people are in the bank. Charlie nodded anxiously and snuggled in Jay's arms. He leaned against the wall..

"Don't worry, Charlie, I'm here. I take care of you." Jay whispered in her ear. He was civilian. He carried no weapon or badge. Normally he did not need it when he wants to go to the playground with his daughter.

Charlie buried her face deep in his T-shirt. He gently stroked her back and listened to the talks. The bank robbers were obviously desperate. The police were probably faster than planned, the guard was dead and they were in a tight spot.

When the police tried to contact the bank robbers, they almost panicked. They tried to find a guilty party and initially refused to communicate with the police, which threatened to storm the bank.

"Why don't you say you want a well-filled escape vehicle?" Jay asked, "The police are most likely to fulfill your every wish."

"Shut up!" one of them growled.

"I just mean," said Jay, "we all want to survive this."

"Who survives here and who doesn't, I still decide." the strong one hissed.

After another consultation, they talked to the police. Jay clearly recognized Voight's voice, which took over the negotiation. Listening to his voice calmed Jay a lot. Not that he distrusted other cops, but the intelligence was his family. He knew Hank would do anything to get Charlie and the other civilians out of harm's way.

"You have a maximum of half an hour, otherwise I'll shoot the first hostage!" hissed the masked man into the phone.

Jay closed his eyes for a moment. He prayed earnestly that the Intelligence pursues the claim in the mentioned period. The last thing he wants is more deaths. However, he also feared that Voight will conduct further negotiations, because getting an armored car was not easy.

"Daddy, I want to go home," Charlie stuttered. Her head was still pressed against Jay's chest and her whole body was shaking with fear.

"Me too." Jay sighed, "Don't worry, Charlie. I protect you." He wrapped his arms tighter around the little girl and pulled her all over his lap, "I'm sure they'll get us out of here soon."

"Stop talking!" one of the bank robbers hissed.

"I'm not allowed to calm down my child?" Jay asked tense.

"I can shoot your kid if you prefer," he grinned.

"We are quiet," said Jay. The guy looked at her sternly, but left her alone.

The half hour took a long time. Jay got the feeling that it was hours. The telephone rang and the boss among the bank robbers phoned Voight. But apparently Hank needed more time.

"You get your dead person," the boss snapped as his eyes wandered through the room. He quickly found his victim. He ended the call and approached Jay.

"Get up, kiddo." He grumbled.

Charlie clung to her father, pressing her face deeper into his T-shirt, trying to hide.

"You don't dare to touch my child," Jay said as he put his arms protectively around his daughter. He certainly will not watch these guys shoot his daughter in front of his eyes.

"Unfortunately, I have no choice. I promised a body to the police, "he grinned, reaching for Charlie. Her arms and legs trembled and again tears rolled down her cheeks. Charlie did not want to leave her daddy, and the grip of the bad man hurt her. Immediately, Jay jumped up from his place on the floor and slammed his fist into the guy's face. Jay managed to throw the bank robber's gun out of reach. Actually he wanted to take the weapon, but she slipped out of his hand. What followed was a brawl.

A shot sounded through the bank, followed by a scream. Shocked, Jay looked at his little girl. She was lying on the floor. The bullet hit her.