Chapter 10

In forest trees emerald eyes watched the wolf run. He was amused as she chased a grey hare before catching it. She had devoured the creature. Then begun running again. A better hunter now but unaware still. She was completely unaware she was being watched. He followed her using the trees. At last she came to a stream for a drink. Seconds later she was in her human form staring at the moon and crystal clear water. Her hoodie remained wrapped on her waist. However he could only see her back. She stretched and laid in the grass as she continued her gazing of the sky. He was disappointed he couldn’t see much of her form. The grass was tall even if some dank under her. He could sneak down and find a better vantage point. But then she may smell him. As a wolf her senses would be heightened. Even now he could tell her guard was up. Wolves howls broke the air. He saw her sit up. Quickly she reverted to her wolf form. He watched as she curled up in her form. He tilted his head at her feined sleeping. A wolf appeared he watched as he approached her. When he got closer she gave him a warning growl. The silver timber wolf growled back. She remained on her belly her teeth bared. The silver wolf snarled another warning.

Who are you? Why are you in my territory?”

Raya stopped growling.

“ I’m no threat to your pack alpha. I’m just resting here.”
“ Resting rogue?”
“ Yes Alpha.”
“ Where is your pack female?”
“ North Dakota.”
“ Did you leave them, are you banished, or are you here unwillingly?”
“ Unwilling. I was brought here by humans. They let me out and treat me as a pet. I will make sure they cause you no harm.”
“Pet that’s pathetic. You are a wolf.”

Raya gritted her teeth mentally at the statement. But he was buying it.

Yes but I’m only a pack wolf. With no important status.”
“ Come with me she wolf.”
“ I’d rather speak in the open Alpha.”
“ How old are you female?”

Raya mentally sighed. She knew this conversation. She was considered fully mature at 3. And since she aged slow her form was of a nearly grown female. He wasn’t the first wolf to take interest in this. A mature female was perfect for pups.

Nearly 3.”
“ Then you are of age.”
“ I’m not looking to have cubs.”
“ It’s a females duty.”
“ Not interested.” 
"A mate already. Not a canine right."
" No alpha. I'm just not ready to bare cubs. "
“ When you go into heat soon then what will you do?”
“ Stay close to the humans. Even if I didn’t choose to be a pet. They will make sure I don't cause a frenzy.”
“ I will not stop my males.”
I’ll be fine Alpha.”
“ So be it pet. Make sure the humans do not bother my pack or I will kill you. Rogues come here but I will not tolerate my pack being hurt.”
“ Understood Alpha.”

The silver wolf turned to leave howling a message to his pack. It translated to: Brown she wolf on territory. Mature. Leave her as she is a pet. Be wary of humans. Raya watched the male leave. Thankfully he was much older than her so he hadn’t tried to court her as other males did in the past. He must have a beautiful mate. She mentally grinned. She continued her exploration of the woods. Her brown form slinking through the brush. She'd head home soon.

He hissed under his breath while he had watched the confrontation. He was proud she stood her ground but angry that she had handled it as if it happened a lot. He knew she was older but she did look to be 3 therefore was considered an adult. The male wolf hadn’t jumped her so that was a good sign. Although he would of hurt that wolf for touching her. He had been surprised that it was indeed her. Her fur had the same coloring. Although the brown had lightened. He watched her run off. He might as well head back too. Using the trees he went towards the high way near the road. His car was parked on the side. He wasn’t worried about cops. He had another way of escaping if needed. He climbed into his vehicle. He snatched his phone up. Missed calls with female names greeted him. Hilary being most frequent. He had played with her this morning. Now I wished He hadn't. He sighed and deleted all. Then clicked the name Raya and proceeded to text before he drove off.

Raya arrived in her home. Using her wolf self she hopped on her roof. She made sure to be quiet as she shifted back and snuck back into her window. She sat her hoody on a chair. She listened and once again heard the soft breathing of her adoptive mother. Relaxing she headed for her phone and read the time. She had only been gone two hours. As she went to put it down her phone buzzed.

#: Hi just got off work. What are you doing?

She stared at it. Who was texting her. Then she suddenly remembered earlier. Mentally slapping herself she clicked on the message.

Raya: You owe me a reason for taking my phone.
#: Well don’t friends have each other’s number?
Raya: Some but not forcibly. 
#: Relax Raya. I knew you were in a hurry it was the fastest way. 
Raya: 😕 
#: We’re friends so stop being so guarded. 
Raya: I barely know you. 
#: Yet you agreed to being friends. There will be no serious relationship so ease up.
Raya: I still barely trust you. 
#: Try 
Raya: Fine but the minute you hit on me I’m out.
#: Don’t worry about that. So let’s start over I’m Nyrian Sky Leos. And you are?
Raya: I’m Raya Penny Zeta. 
#: Nice I’ll call you R.P
Raya: R.P?
#: What hate it?
Raya: No it’s fine.
#: Good. You can give me a nickname too.
Raya: No I’m good calling you Nyrian. 
#: Okay. So how was work?

Raya shook her head as she added him to her contacts. Seems he planned on stringing her along.

Raya: Um good. You?
Nyrian: It’s money. 
Raya: That doesn’t sound like you enjoyed it.
Nyrian: Job is getting boring is all. I work at this boring gas station. 
Raya: Then look for a new one.
Nyrian: Can’t got bills. Apartments don’t pay for themselves.
Raya: You have an apartment?
Nyrian: Yep. I’ll invite you over one day. 
Raya: 😕 
Nyrian: Fine take it slow. But friends hang out you know? 😑
Raya: Not friends who barely met. 
Nyrian: Fine we’ll meet at school and text till you’re comfortable. 
Raya: Okay.

The rest of the night they texted. Then said their nights and Raya went to bed.
                                                 -----------