Chapter 11

As the weeks went on they’d meet at lunch then attend English. Then say their byes. Nyrian made sure they only talked. Although Raya had spotted him talking to other females. She wasn’t sure about what and kept her guard and played her music as she went from class to class. 3 weeks later on the weekend, she was preparing for  biweekly quizzes for all her classes. She was eventually bored and yawned. There was a knock on the door. Raya frowned at Jacky's thoughts.

“Raya I got to go to work. Take Jezzy on your afternoon walk.”
“Uh yeah sure.”
“Thanks I’ll be home late.”
“Okay.”

Raya listened to her mother’s feet retreat into the distance. She sighed as she dressed in blue jean shorts that were only a two inches from her knees. She then put on a red spaghetti strap and a white sleeveless hoody over it. Although she left it unzipped halfway. She then slid her black Nikes on. She then headed downstairs where the tan and black dog was waiting by the door.

“Jezzy let’s go on a walk.”

Jezzy immediately barked with excitement and jumped around. He whined as she retrieved the extending leash. Raya clipped it on his green collar.

“A walk oh boy a walk! Jez likes walk! Jez gonna chase a squirrel.”

Raya smiled as he barked as they left the house. She could hear everything the dog was excited about. Again she was grateful this dog couldn’t tell what she was. However when she reached the park that may be different if another dog smelt her. She’d have to mask her scent. She followed the enthusiastic dog as he pulled her. For an older dog, he still had energy when he got to walk. Well she was energetic when she went on runs too. Must be genetics. They arrived at park. Jezzy barked as he saw other dogs.

“Come on boy, dog park is this way. Then you can run and play to your heart's content.”

Raya led him to a fenced area. She could already hear the dogs. She hadn’t been to the dog park yet. So it was a sight. Beautiful green grass, hydrants, a digging area, a place to put scooped poop, tons of dog toys either left or provided, and a designated trainer who was working with some small puppies. Raya sighed and unhooked the leash.

“ Okay boy go play nice. I’ll be watching from there.” Raya as she walked over to a bench.

“Alright must find squirrel. Jez need to chase.”

Raya stretched as she watched the dog play. She bit back the urge to play as well. It had been a while since she played. She might go out and play with some pups later. She watched as a Great Dane approached her.
“You smell odd. T wants to know why?”
“ Shoo boy.”
“Are you a danger to my master?”
(The huge dog growled. She wanted to growl back but bit back. Her fur was bristling mentally.)
“Go buddy. I’m not a danger.”
“What are you? T knows you are different.” 

Raya sighed. Her eyes flashed amber in warning. The dog backed up and barked. She growled low.

“Watch it puppy. Now go.”

He stared at her. The dog growled one last time at her words as his owner called for him. He snorted at her warning and trotted off. Raya sighed she would have to warn these dogs. Jezzy couldn’t smell her but they could. She quickly masked her scent. She watched as the dogs gave her odd looks when they passed with their owners. She really wanted to growl at them. Jezzy came to her with a ball.

“Jezzy no fetch.”
(He whined at her.)
“Please fetch for Jez.”

He nudged the ball and continued whining as he sat there wagging his tail. Every word heard by Raya. She sighed and reached for the ball.

“For a bit okay.”

He barked as she proceeded to play with him. She threw the ball over and over till at last he was exhausted. She re-clipped his collar and led him out of the park. Now that he was tired he walked along side her. Raya walked back to their home where she let him inside. Jezzy didn’t acknowledge her as he laid on his plush downstairs bed by the couch. Watching him lie down, she made her way back to her room. She wasn’t satisfied fully with the walk. But with Jezzy there was no way for her to go run and enjoy herself. Well without sneaking off. She was headed for the window when her phone buzzed.

Nyrian: Hey R.P! Done studying yet?

Raya stared at the text. Nyrian texted every other day and normally not on weekends.

Raya: Taking a break. Had to walk Jezzy.
Nyrian: Jezzy?
Raya: Mom’s dog.  I took him to the dog park.
Nyrian: 😅 Nice.
Raya: Uh yeah.

Raya stared at the laughing face. Did he find that funny for some reason.

Nyrian: So hey Angel and I are going to go watch the movie. You sure you don’t want to tag along? 

He was persistent she’d give him that. This was the 7th time he’d asked her to go out. She shook her head and once again and told him no thanks.

Nyrian: 😞 
Raya: Sorry still to soon.
Nyrian: We have been friends for 3 weeks you know.
Raya: 3 weeks isn’t that long. It just seems weird.
Nyrian: Fine ttyl.

Raya frowned at this. Was he mad at her? She shrugged and clicked off her  phone. He’d text after the movie.