chapter one; pilot

Torryn leisurely leaned back against her chair, her foot sprawled over the school desk lazily

Torryn leisurely leaned back against her chair, her foot sprawled over the school desk lazily. Algebra two was Torryn Wilde's final class of the day, and with it being the final class came Torryn's eagerness to go home.

However, it also marked another day that she was to be left in the dust by the three people whom she considered herself closest to. Sure, after joining the cheer team, Torryn managed to befriend the captain Sierra and a few other girls, but despite their friendliness, Torryn still considered herself closer to Jack, Miko, and Raf.

Especially Miko.

Torryn loved hanging out with Miko, the two were able to stir up trouble like never before with the other. Jack was also fun to hang out with, though he was more level-headed, something that Torryn found herself grateful for sometimes. Rafael, or Raf, for short, was like the little brother Torryn never had, plus he was always willing to help her with the schoolwork she pretended not to understand.

   Keyword; pretended.

Torryn Wilde lived up to her name in the sense that she was a complete wild card. Despite her IQ and overall intelligence being high, Torryn continuously failed tests and put off school work for the pure reason of not wanting to draw attention to herself.

It was her father, Scott Wilde, that suggested she do this. Because of Scott's job as a high-ranking government agent, Scott was rarely ever home. He knew his daughter was smart, and he knew if she were to show just how smart she truly was it could gain unwanted attention.

Torryn Wilde was different from other teenage girls her age, and it was more than just the usual amount of angst or feeling like she did not belong. No, Torryn Wilde was different in the terms that at least once a week she was bombarded with visions of someone dying. And even worse, whenever those visions happen, Torryn is unable to stop herself from the sonic scream that rips its way from her throat.

A scream which quite literally rattles her house, the main reason why her father bought a house isolated for miles just outside Jasper. That and the fact that it was an extremely good price for it being a borderline mansion.

Torryn Wilde was more than aware of what she was, a banshee. As long as Torryn properly concealed herself it was a relatively easy trait to live with. Besides, now if she was ever attacked, all she had to do was scream at the person and their eardrums would most likely burst.

"Ms. Wilde," Torryn looked up as her teacher stopped by her desk, looking at the leg sprawled across it with disdain. "This is a classroom, not your living room, now get your foot off the desk." Multiple students snickered, everyone in the class now used to Memorial High's newest student causing ruckus on a daily basis.

Rolling her eyes, Torryn complied, sending Jack Darby a smirk from across the classroom as she dramatically stomped her foot back on the ground. Jack sighed in exasperation, shaking his head as he watched his friend get in trouble for what seemed like the hundredth time today.