chapter four; confrontation

Eighty-two missed calls, one-hundred seventy texts, and fifty emails, all from Jack, Miko, and Raf

   Eighty-two missed calls, one-hundred seventy texts, and fifty emails, all from Jack, Miko, and Raf. Exactly forty hours had passed since Torryn was a witness to giant transforming cars that her friends were so keenly involved with.

   Torryn herself had been terrified to leave her house the rest of the weekend, opting to keep her home under severe lockdown and ignore anything to do with her phone. To pass the time, she watched the rest of the Twilight Saga along with most of the Harry Potter films and took six different baths just to clear her thoughts.

   She truly was not sure what to do. She had already tried the police, and that ended in failure. Because of that, Torryn realized that no other person would believe her about this situation which left her completely isolated. She was stuck dealing with it herself.

   After hours of contemplating, she finally decided if Jack, Miko, and Raf were hanging around the robots then they must not have been too dangerous. Not to mention from the short conversation she did hear of them, they did not seem exceptionally dangerous.

   It was now Monday morning, and if Torryn wanted to make it to school on time, she had to leave within the next five minutes. Torryn had gone back and forth between considering whether she wanted to go or ditch; she even thought as far as skipping the entire week. However, with more inner debate, Torryn found that she actually wanted answers. And the only way that was going to happen would be if she went to school and listened to what her friends had to tell her.

   From the texts and emails she had seen, it was just them begging to meet in person so they could explain. Standing in front of her bedroom mirror with her phone in hand, Torryn cringed at her own appearance.

   She was a mess.

   Even after trying to pull herself together that morning, it simply could not take away her sleepless eyes or paranoid gaze. Sighing, Torryn shoved her phone into her pocket, turning to where her backpack sat at the edge of her bed.

   It was now or never.

   Gripping her backpack, Torryn trudged her ways downstairs. "Alexa, take the house out of lockdown," Per her command, the virtual assistant immediately got to work in lifting the metal barriers along with raising the curtains.

   Walking to the Mercedes parked messily in the garage, Torryn grunted at all the dirt splayed across it. She would need to take it to a carwash. Slowly, Torryn turned her gaze away from the Mercedes and to the silver Range Rover sitting ideally next to it.

   It had been awhile since Torryn had driven the Range Rover, but it was cleaner than the Mercedes. Plus, if Torryn had to make a quick getaway from her friends, they would not recognize the Range Rover as being her car. Grabbing the keys to the Range Rover off the rack, Torryn jogged over to it, opening the door.

   The car smelled of lemon and soap, a clear sign that it was still brand new with how little it had been driven. Hopping inside, Torryn quickly opened the garage door before peeling out.