chapter twelve; home sweet home

INTRODUCING BEN AFFLECK AS SCOTT WILDE

   "I know, I'm sorry Smokey, but I have a bunch of family stuff for the next few days

   "I know, I'm sorry Smokey, but I have a bunch of family stuff for the next few days. I promise by Sunday I'll be totally free to come to the base like usual." Torryn explained over the phone as she laid in her bed, preparing to go to sleep once she got off the phone with Smokescreen.

   There was a huff on the other end before Smokescreen's disappointed and slightly anxious voice came through. "But Torryn, I don't even know where you live..." He spoke sourly causing Torryn to cringe, she knew she really needed to tell the Autobots where she lived and let Smokescreen do curbside duty at night. "And now I won't even be seeing you for four days! What if the Decepticons find you again?"

   "Then I will call you right away and you can come to protect me, I promise." Torryn crossed her fingers hoping Smokescreen would give in.

   There were a few seconds of silence, Smokescreen obviously deciding if doing what Torryn asked was worth the risk. "Grrr, fine. I can't believe I am actually allowing this to happen." Smokescreen groaned from the receiver while Torryn fist-pumped the air in victory.

   Tomorrow her dad was scheduled to arrive for the next four days and in that time Torryn would not be let out of his sight for anything other than school or cheer practice.

   That was how it was when her dad was actually home. Of course, because he was not home often Torryn did not mind his protective nature in the slightest (in fact she rather enjoyed it), but if he was home 24/7, Torryn knew his over-bearing nature would drive her crazy. Not mention when he was home he had the eery ability to practically sniff out when something was wrong; therefore, Torryn was not willing to risk doing anything out of line while Scott Wilde was home.

   "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Torryn cheered into the phone hearing a breathy but sad chuckle back. Torryn paused in her happiness, her face swelling with guilt when she realized Smokescreen probably had the wrong impression. "Honestly Smokescreen, I would much rather hang out with you, trust me, but I need to stay with my family for the next few days."

   Torryn had made sure not to specify exactly what she was doing with her "family", and rather than saying "her and her dad", she decided to allow Smokescreen to believe she was alike to most other humans out there with more than just one parent. Of course, her friend Jack was in a similar manner to her, as it was only him and his mom (Torryn was not sure what happened with his father), but it was also extremely different. Sure, June sometimes worked crazy hours at the hospital, but she was still around. Scott Wilde was around maybe once every two to three months if Torryn was lucky, not only that, but Jack did not need to worry about being a banshee.

     "I know," Smokescreen's voice cut Torryn out of her thoughts. "But what exactly is it that is so important you need to stay with your family the next four days straight?"