eleven

Pretty soon, the third (and final) task of the Triwizard Tournament had rolled around. The four champions were obviously anxious, but through all the stress and anxiety, Cedric Diggory continued to show confidence and kindness. I admired that about him; whenever something happened, he kept his head high. He was also so nice, no matter what happened. He'll be missed greatly once he graduates from Hogwarts after this year.

On the morning of the third task, June 24th, Draco approaches me while I was walking to the Great Hall. He pulled me over to the side of the hallway and started talking.

"Do you remember that favour you owe me?"

I sighed, nodding my head to say yes.

"Well, I'm going to use that. Every year, after school let's out, my parents have a big banquet at my manor to celebrate. This year, since I'm now fifteen, my parents are expecting me to bring a date—"

"Happy late birthday," I interrupted.

"Thanks. Anyway, my parents want me to bring a date. Can I bring you? It won't be a real date, I just thought this could be a fun way to use that favour."

"Um, sure?"

"You're a Pureblood, right?"

I paused. "According to my dad, I'm a Muggleborn."

"What? No way. You're way too powerful to be a Mudblood. Well, whatever. Just pretend to be a Pureblood at the party," Draco said, looking up for a second.

"Okay."

"Thanks. Write a letter to your dad to let him know that you'll be coming with me to the Malfoy Manor after getting off the Hogwarts Express."

With that, he left.

~~~

Fawn, Courtney, and I made our way to the Quidditch Pitch, where the third task was being held. We were surprisingly early, so we sat at the front of the stands. Fawn started talking about the drama at Hogwarts, like how Peyton Cole, a Slytherin in our year, had cheated on her O.W.L.s. How? Nobody knew.

"Imagine what it would be like if we were Muggles and went to a Muggle high school," Fawn randomly said.

"And I thought our school had a lot of drama!" Courtney added, making us laugh.

I sighed with a smile as students started filling into the stands in bigger numbers. Soon, the seats were filled and the champions were standing on the field.

It took me a moment, but I noticed that the once-flat Quidditch field was now covered in large hedges, creating a maze. I could see movement on the field, shaking the vegetation and sparking questions in my head.

The professors started talking, and then the champions were off.

Fawn started cheering Harry and Cedric's makes, causing confusion in the stands. As Hufflepuffs, we were only supposed to cheer for Cedric. However, we didn't care.  Some students joined us while the professors ignored us.

Courtney and Fawn were asking questions and talking about the champions while I watched in silence. Red sparks shot up from the side of the maze, where Fleur Delacour was standing.

A roar sounded from the other side of the maze, where Cedric was walking. The roar turned to a whimper as Cedric passed the creature. Whatever he had done, it was effective.

Yelling was heard from somewhere in the field, and I sensed anger and fear from whoever had let out that shout. More red sparks were shot up a few seconds later, and soon Viktor Krum was brought out of the maze.

Cedric and Harry were the only ones left. The cheering in the crowd I screamed dramatically, the Gryffindors shouting for Harry, the other Houses screaming for Cedric.

A few minutes passed, and a loud whooshing sound came from the centre of the field, where Harry and Cedric has found the Triwizard Cup together. However, instead of emerging from the field victorious, the two disappeared.

"What the heck?" Fawn cried, confusion crowding her face. "Was that—was that a portkey?"

Minutes passed, scaring the professors and the students. Theories and fear bubbled throughout the crowd.

Suddenly Harry emerged, gasping, Cedric's body in his arms. The crowd started cheering as the maze disappeared, allowing the teachers to rush out to him. Harry was crying.

Concern washed over the crowd and a few students let out sobs.

"He's dead."