twenty-one

After the plan for the potions failed, Draco and I decided that a break might be beneficial. Snape also said that he could get us the potions we needed.

We arrived at the Manor and Voldemort immediately bombarded us with questions about the Vanishing cabinet.

"How far along is it? Why isn't it finished yet? What's taking so long? When will it be finished?"

To those, we just said, "We don't know. We're trying."

"You two are lucky to be in the positions you're in. Without those, you two would both be dead."

"Yes, sir."

"As soon as you two return to Hogwarts, you will work on the cabinet every day."

"Yes, sir."

"Now get out of my way."

~~~

"Y/n, you shouldn't be down here."

"Dad, I know you're concerned for my safety, but I need to see you. I brought some food."

"Thank you, but please don't get caught."

"I won't, don't worry. And even if I did get caught, I can pretend to be torturing you," I said sadly. After a beat or two of silence, I spoke again. "I'm going to see Matthew and Kya tomorrow."

"Really? Tell them that I'm sorry, and that I love them."

"I will. But it's okay, Dad, I'm going to get you out of here somehow. Voldemort is teaching me how to Apparate already. I can get you out that way."

"Be careful, Y/n. You don't know what will happen—" he stopped talking and fell into a coughing fit, "if you're caught."

"I know, and I will be."

"Thank you. Now get out of here before you're hurt."

~~~

I took one step into the unfamiliar house and heard screams of joy getting louder, along with footsteps as my two siblings ran towards the front door.

I hadn't seen my cousins since I was seven, due to both of our families being busy a lot. It was still nice to see them, though.

"Y/n!" Kya screamed as I picked her up and hugged her.

"Kya! You've gotten so big!"

"Where were you? And where's Daddy?" Matthew said, tugging on my shirt. I put Kya down and hugged my little brother.

"I had some important school business that I had to deal with right away. I didn't finish until after the school year had started, though, which is why I was gone for so long."

"What about Daddy?" Kya whined.

"Dad also had business to attend to, dealing with wizards and unicorns and scary monsters. Roar!" I said jokingly, tickling Kya. "But seriously, he's dealing with a lot of scary monsters to help protect the three of us. He said he's sorry, and that he loves you two."

"We love him too!"

"I know you do. Now, where's Emilia?"

"Y/n! You're so much taller! How old are you now? It's been so long!" My aunt pulled me into a bear hug.

"Uh, I'm sixteen."

"Sixteen? Bloody hell, it's been nine years!"

"Yep. How have you been?"

"I've been tired. Your siblings are a lot of work, but I'm lucky that Lucy and Chris are so well-behaved and helpful."

Lucy and Chris, my two cousins, walked out of the kitchen to see me. After hugging and more small talk, they led me into a spare room where I would sleep for that night only.

Kya pulled her light brown hair around her shoulder as she climbed onto my bed, where I was sitting.

"Do you have a boyfriend?"

I laughed, finding it funny that that was what she was worried about.

"I do."

Kya's eyes went wide with excitement. "Tell me about him!"

"Well, his name is Draco. He has really light blond hair, a grey eyes. He's pretty tall, and he's really handsome. I'd love for you to meet him!"

Her eyes were still wide. "Can you share him? I want a boyfriend!"

I laughed. "No, I can't share him. You can be friends with him though."

"Yay!"

Matthew walked in and sat next to Kya. "What happened at Hog—Hogwarts this year?" he asked, stumbling over his words.

"A lot has happened so far. Draco and I are working together to fix something really important for one of his parents' friends! Fawn and Courtney and I are kinda drifting apart, but it's okay, because our friendship is still strong. And the new Potions teacher has been hosting tons of parties lately, and they're super fun!" I kinda felt bad lying to them, but I'd rather protect them from the truth.

"Wow! Your life is so cool," Matthew said, in awe.

"I wanna go to Hogarts!" Kya's eyes were still wide.

"Hogwarts," I said, correcting her.

"Howgarts?"

"No, Hogwarts."

"Hogwarts!"

"Yeah! You got it."

She giggled excitedly and looked at her older brother. "Do you wanna be a witch?"

"He would be a wizard. You would be a witch, like me."

"Yeah! I wanna be a wizard!"

I smiled, happy to be reunited with my siblings.

"I love you two."