twenty

The year passed by slowly. Draco and I worked on the vanishing cabinet when we could, but it wasnt much due to our homework and studying, as well as trying to keep any suspicion off of us.

Pretty soon, it was December. Draco and I would be going to his manor for most of the holiday, but apparently I would be allowed to see Matthew and Kya, who were still with my cousins, on Christmas. Excitement and happiness bubbled at the thought—I havent seen them since Bellatrix came to my house.

On the last day before we would be leaving Hogwarts, Draco pulled me over while I was walking to the Hufflepuff common room.

"Professor Slughorn is hosting a Christmas party for his stupid Slug Club tonight. We need to get in there and steal some of the potions from his office for the Vanishing cabinet."

"Uh, okay? How are we going to do that?"

"The members of the club each got a plus one, from what I've heard. Talk to Fawn, Blaise Zabini told me she's in the club. I'll talk to Blaise. Try to get that invite."

"What about you?"

"You're going to sneak me in."

"Uh—fine. Whatever."

"Go talk to Fawn. I'll talk to Zabini, then I'll be in the Room of Requirements. Find me when you have an answer."

I nodded and entered my common room. "Fawn," I said dramatically, sitting next to her on the couch against the wall.

"Yes?"

"You're in the Slug Club, right?"

"I am."

"Are you going to the Christmas party tonight?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Can you take me? Please?" I said, stretching out the words to be dramatic.

"I don't think I can, I only got one invite and Courtney wanted to go. I'm sorry, Y/n, I didn't know you were interested in the party. I can talk to Professor Slughorn and try to get another invite if you want?"

"No, it's okay. Thanks though, have fun!"

I stood up and left the common room, heading straight for the Room of Requirements.

~~~

"Zabini said he was okay with taking you."

"Okay, thats fine. Fawn is already taking Courtney, so I'll have to go with him."

Draco turned to the Vanishing cabinet again. "We can't do anything until we get those potions. Come on, you need a dress for tonight."

"A dress? Why?"

"It's a Christmas party, Y/n. And you're going with Blaise Zabini, who's the second best Slytherin, second to me, of course."

"Whatever. Where are we going to get a dress on such short notice? Are we going to Hogsmeade?"

"No, better." Draco touched one of his rings three times, and in less than a minute a woman Apparated into the room.

"Good afternoon, Master Draco. If you don't mind me asking, why did you call me here today? You and your friend are coming home tomorrow, aren't you?"

"We are. However, there is a party that Y/n is going to be attending tonight, and she needs a dress."

"I assume that this is Y/n?"

"Yes, ma'am," I said, holding out my hand for her to shake. She looked confused, so I put my hand down.

"Y/n, this is Alice, the Malfoys' personal seamstress."

"Let's get to work, shall we?"

~~~

After about an hour of being standing still for Alice, the dress was finished. It was beautiful: light blue fabric with a light yellow underskirt that was visible only at the hemming. It wasn't puffy, but instead long, soft, and straight. It had long sleeves with a high neck, and I liked it more than I thought I would.

We said goodbye to Alice, and then we realised the party would start in about fifteen minutes. Draco and I discussed the plan to get him into the party, and then I followed Draco to the Slytherin common room, where we met Blaise. He was wearing a tux, and his brown hair was slicked back.

"Don't do anything she's not comfortable with, and remember that she's my girlfriend, not yours," Draco said to Blaise as we headed towards Slughorn's office.

"Yes, Malfoy. I know."

We entered the room to see the normally bland office covered in drapes, colours, and people. My eyes immediately found my two friends, and I talked to them for a bit.

Blaise and I walked around and talked to each other and to the other people at the party for a while.

I checked the time, and realised that now was the time I was supposed to get Draco into the party. I walked to the entrance, waiting for him to pop up, when Filch burst in with Draco in his grip.

"Let me go, you filthy Squib!" Draco said loudly enough for everyone to hear. He looked tired and pale. He was struggling to get free of Filch's grasp.

Filch reluctantly let him go, muttering, "If only it were still legal to use to torture machines."

Draco rubbed his now red wrists, looking around. I looked straight at him and we made eye contact. He quickly looked away.

"Slughorn, I found this boy wandering the halls. He claims to be gate-crashing," said Filch happily. "Thought you might want me to give him a detention."

"No, Filch, that won't be necessary," Slughorn said calmly. "Malfoy, you may join the party if you'd like."

Draco nodded and started walking towards me. However, Snape came up from behind us and grabbed both of us by our arms.

"Malfoy, L/n, now," Snape said quickly.

"Yes, sir," Draco and I said, walking with Snape out of the room.

We walked into an empty classroom.

"Listen to me. I am trying to help you two," Snape said calmly. "I swore to Narcissa that I would protect you two. I made the Unbreakable Vow—"

"Looks like you'll have to break it, then, because I don't need your protection!" Draco interrupted. "It's our job, the Dark Lord gave it to us and we're doing it."

"We've got a plan and it's going to work, it's just taking a bit longer than we thought it would," I added.

"You two had better be done quickly. The Dark Lord is getting impatient, and the rest of the Death Eaters are suffering because of it."

"Yes, sir," I said. "We'll be done soon, we just need more time."

"I dont know how much more time you can get. You know Voldemort, he won't hesitate to hurt any one of us, or you two. And if something happens to either of you, I'm dead, thanks to your mother," Snape said angrily, turning to Draco, "so you two had better hurry up."

"Fine."

Snape turned and left the room briskly, going back to join the party again. Draco and I just stood there, in that empty room, emotions boiling.