thirty-two

Draco nodded, lips curled upwards, smiling, even though there was a bit of fear in his eyes.

I pointed my wand at his forearm, right above his Dark Mark.

"Deplacio Permenna," I said.

Beautiful white narcissus flowers began sprouting on his arm, but they were fake, simple tattoos. They "grew" around his Dark Mark, but they didn't touch it.

Draco's face lit up again as he watched the flowers cover the rest of his forearm. "Thank you," he said quietly. "What are you going to do about yours?"

"I think I'm going to leave it there," I answered as the narcissus tattoos stopped growing, having covered his whole forearm. "I know it'll just remind me of the pain, but I don't think this year is something I'll want to forget. Yeah, it was rough, but it brought us together, and I think it helped me and you both grow as wizards."

Draco smiled, grabbing my hand. "This is why I love you."

We started walking through the familiar neighbourhood. His arm was around my shoulder and we walked in sync with each other.

Excitement rose through me as I thought about where we're going. I turned to Draco.

"Oh, I thought you would want to know that Kya is super excited to meet you. And my dad can seem mean but he's really not."

We reached the driveway and walked to the door. I knocked, and a little girl ran out almost as soon as my hand left the door.

"Y/n!" Kya yelled excitedly. She hadn't changed much since I last saw her after bringing my dad here, to Aunt Emilia's house. Kya still had cropped brown hair and a bubbly spirit, but she was a bit taller, reaching my waist now. I kneeled down and she ran into my arms, hugging me tightly.

Matthew and my dad walked out after her, just as excited. Aunt Emilia was close behind them. I hugged Matthew while Kya tugged on Draco's hand, asking him questions and hugging him.

After finally embracing my dad and my aunt, I introduced my family to Draco. My dad seemed fine with him, and Kya already loved him. Matthew was just excited to have another guy around (other than my dad).

We walked into my aunt's house and I led Draco into the backyard, where we sat on the steps to the deck.

"Your family definitely seems energetic," Draco said, a laugh in his voice.

"Yeah, definitely. Kya's literally just a ball of happiness and excitement. I'm just really happy to see how well my dad has improved since I got him out of the manor."

"I . . . I'm really sorry that Voldemort took him into there."

"You never have to apologise for Voldemort's wrongs."

"I know. But I feel bad for you and for your dad. He seems really, really nice."

"He is. And thank you." I put my head on Draco's shoulder and laces our fingers together.

These past years hadn't been perfect, but they brought us together. That's what matters in the end.