fourteen

I walked into the Hufflepuff common room, my stomach full from dinner but my mind empty from another of Professor Umbridge's boring lessons. Since the new year had started, Umbridge, the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, had done absolutely nothing to teach my class anything. At least this year I was a prefect and fifth year.

"At least the homework in Defense Against the Dark Arts is easy," Courtney said to Fawn as I sat down next to her.

"Eh. It's so boring, though."

As I was about to add my input to the conversation, a House-elf appeared in front of me.

"Excuse me, Master Y/n—"

"Darlice, you know there's no need for that. I'm not at all your master."

"My apologies, Miss. A Slytherin student has asked me to send this for you." She handed me a small envelope.

"Thank you. Are you coming to the Hufflepuff dorms tonight?"

"No, Miss. Seldy is doing that tonight. Goodnight, Miss."

She disappeared, and Courtney and Fawn freaked out the second she did.

"Who's that from?" Courtney screeched, curious and excited. She reached for the envelope, but I kept it out of reach.

"Calm down, Courtney. Let me read it first."

Dear Y/n,

The Slytherin common room is awfully dreary without you. Join me?

                    Yours truly, D.M.

"It's a letter from Draco. He wants me to meet him in his common room."

"Go! We don't want to keep you waiting!" Fawn gasped, rushing me out.

"Keep things PG!" Courtney giggled as I left.

~~~

I smiled as I saw Draco standing outside of the common room, his eyes bright and hair combed. His face lit up when he saw me come closer.

"Hey, baby," he said softly, greeting me with a kiss on the cheek. I put my hands in his and looked up at him.

"So, what are we doing tonight?" I asked, curious and hopeful.

"I was thinking we could go for a walk. It will be easy to get away with, since we're both prefects. We just have to be a bit more careful because of Professor Umbridge."

"Okay."

We started walking, hand in hand. Our voices were soft, the hallways were silent except for our echoing footsteps, and the soft pitter-patter of rain sounding from the outside storm was calming, even though I jumped at the claps of thunder,

At one clap of thunder so loud it shook the castle, I jumped back into Draco and put myself against his chest. He held me tightly until I wasn't scared anymore. (I actually wasn't scared after a few seconds, but his hug felt nice, so I stayed.)

Our conversation continued like normal after that, and we kept walking, our hands together.

I noticed that the sun was deep below the skyline, and the sky was black due to that and the heavy storm clouds.

"Should we go back to our dorms before we get in trouble?" I asked.

"Maybe. I'll walk you to your House area."

We didn't talk much after that, but the silence wasn't awkward. It was peaceful and enjoyable. I was really happy, with Draco standing next to me, the rain pouring against the windows, and my friends eagerly awaiting my arrival in my common room. At the moment, I had no reason to be sad, and I really liked that.

We soon arrived at the entrance to the Hufflepuff common room. I sighed and turned to look at Draco.

He smiled a bit, "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Yeah, you too."

"Hey, Y/n?"

"Yes, Draco?"

"I love you."

"I love you too."

I kissed him, said goodnight, and entered the common room.

"Fawn, Courtney, you will not believe what just happened!"