sixteen

"Y/n, look."

Courtney shoved the Daily Prophet in my face.

"There was a mass breakout from Azkaban! It looks like Bellatrix and a bunch of other Death Eaters have escaped. What do you think will happen?"

Fawn looked up from her homework to show us her wide, fearful eyes. "Oh, Merlin. I hope Professor Dumbledore increases security around here."

I shrugged. "He probably will. I doubt Hogwarts will be under attack anytime soon, but I guess we'll see."

"Sometimes I wish Harry Potter wasn't at Hogwarts with us. I mean, yeah, he's cool, but he's kinda putting us all in danger," Courtney said, reading her newspaper.

"Yeah."

~~~

The remainder of the year passed slowly. Draco and i didn't really talk much. I accepted his apology and forgave him, but neither of us put effort into seeing each other outside of class and our prefect duties.

Fawn, Courtney, and I worked hard to study for our O.W.L.s. We all passed with O's for Outstanding. The Weasley twins turned our Defense Against the Dark Arts O.W.L. into a firework show, and that was really fun. I had already finished my test, so I didn't have to worry about that.

Umbridge was headmistress for some time in Dumbledore's absence. The school's rule system completely fell apart because of her. She released a new "decree" every day, and it was horrid. Harry Potter and his friends ended up getting rid of her, and I was grateful.

Soon, summer break was here and I could finally go home.

~~~

"Kya!" Matthew screamed for the fifth time this week. "Stop taking my toys!"

I sighed, getting up from my desk and my book to go see what the problem was this time.

"I didn't!" My little sister cried. "It's not my fault you keep losing your stuff!"

"I haven't lost a toy—"

"Guys. Take a deep breath, both of you," I said. "Now, Matthew, explain what's going on."

"I can't find my blue dinosaur toy. Kya took it again!"

"I did not!"

"Kya, take a deep breath. What happened?"

"Matthew thinks I took his toy, but I-I didn't! I promise."

I turned to my now nine-year-old brother. "Is it possible that you just lost it?"

Matthew looked away, putting his hands behind his back and letting his brown hair fall over his eyes. "Yeah."

"Okay, let's go look for it."

We walked to Matthew's room and I watched as he started picking up random things from his floor. I grabbed the blanket off of his bed and my eyes went to the blue dinosaur toy laying there. My brother picked it up quickly and hugged me.

"Thanks, Y/n."

I nodded and hugged Kya as well, then I went back to my room. My plan was to simply go back to reading.

I sat down at my desk after closing the door and picked up my book. I looked in the small mirror on the side of my desk and jumped up. I stood up and turned around as fast as possible.

I saw Bellatrix Lestrange sitting in the fluffy chair in the corner of my room.

"Um, what's going on?"

She looked up and laughed. "Is that any way to talk to your godmother?"

"What?"

"You clearly dont know anything that is correct, so let me explain a few things."

"First, your father is not your biological dad. Your actual dad is dead, thanks to the Dementors in Azkaban. He was one of the worst Death Eaters, second only to me and your mother."

"Two, you have some weird power that, when uncontrolled, can be very dangerous— and very helpful. The Dark Lord wants to use your power, and the Dark Lord gets what he wants."

"Third, your biological parents were both extremely powerful Death Eaters. Your mother was even stronger than me, and that's impressive. Well, she was until you came along. Your death killed her, and since neither of your parents had ever had a single taint of Muggle in their blood, you got that power of yours, whatever it is. You see, Muggle blood is tainted and dirty, and infects any wizard's blood with even something as meek as a kiss. Since wizards just have to mingle with Muggles, it is extremely rare to find blood as pure as your parents both were. Your power is even rarer."

"The Dark Lord will explain everything," she finished.

I just looked at her, unsure of what to say.

She rolled her eyes and stood up. "In summary, you're coming with me. And no, you don't get a choice."