|• may i have this dance? •|

I re-wrote this oneshot on 12/10/20. It was originally published in March of 2019. The plot is extremely different.

Tam steeled himself, the purple flowers in his hands nearly crushed from his anxiety. He knocked on the massive door, fiddling with his suit cuffs. Alden Vacker answered the door, smiling when he saw Tam.

"Tam Song, is it? Nice to meet you. My wife Della will show you to the reception hall."

Stepping inside, Tam surveyed the house. So. Much. Sparkling. He passed the flowers to his other hand as the door shut behind him. Della Vacker waved hello, gesturing up the stairs. "The reception hall is to the left!" she said, and took a sip of her drink . "I'll take the flowers and put them with the rest."

Tam shot a look to the table half hidden in the corner; presents and flowers cluttered the wood, and Fitz Vacker sat in a chair, sorting through the large pile. He had glanced up when Tam had entered the house, but said nothing.

Climbing the long stairs, Tam stopped just short of the doors. He took a breath, swept his hair to the side, and stepped into the stuffy room.

~~~~

Biana was about to throw up. She had been spun around so many times, she was surprised she hadn't puked already. She excused herself from the latest dance partner, heading to the punch table. Girls and boys alike crowded the room. 100 people didn't seem like much until you hosted a dance. Biana took a sip of the punch, lifting her heavy curtain of hair from her collar.

Someone bumped into her, nearly knocking the glass from her hand. "Hey! Watch-" her mouth split into a smile. "Tam!"

He looked ... handsome. His silver-tipped hair was swept back, revealing his grey-blue eyes, and his tunic was black with silvery gray cuffs.

"You look amazing," he said, taking her gloved hand. Biana blushed, pleased.

"You clean up well, too."

Tam grinned, bowing. "May I have this dance?"

Biana set her punch down, curtsying. "You may." She pulled him into the crowd, laughing as she twirled around. Any lingering threads of nausea had vanished, and had been replaced by a warm, bubbly feeling.

Happiness.

They danced in sync, Tam's silvery hair flopping into his eyes. They danced until Biana's feet hurt and Tam was panting. Then they switched partners, and Biana lost sight of Tam.

Biana danced with people she knew and people she didn't, but none of them were Tam.

As the evening drew to a close, Biana stood at the door, thanking everyone for coming. Finally, after everyone else has filed out, Tam appeared, cheeks flushed, eyes bright.

Alden and Della were downstairs, making sure everyone left, and Fitz was still sorting through the gifts, which meant they were alone.

"Did you enjoy it?" Biana asked.

"Yes." The answer was short, but it was filled with feeling.

Biana smiled, grabbing Tam's hand. "One more dance?"

Tam laughed, letting Biana pull him away from the door. "One more dance."