Ch 6 ~ The Woodland King

I'm taken from my cell, hands bound, as Nëniel leads me through narrow halls with many turns and winding staircases, her sister following behind us. I recognize this attempt to confuse me so I do not know how to escape, but I have been trained well, making note of every turn and staircase we take. If a chance presents itself anytime in the near future, I'm out of this musty forest.

The stuffy narrow halls eventually open up into a grand chamber, with twisted wooden pillars, as high as the trees of the forest, and slender bridges crossing the Forest river, trickling slowly, far below.

"Beautiful, right?" Nëniel asks, turning her dark head and giving me a smile.

I look around with muted wonder at the place. I have lived in the elaborate halls of Rivendell, seen the splendor of the golden trees of Lórien, and have grown up hearing the tales of the great Elven cities of Gondolin and Nargothrond. But the Woodland Realm holds me captivated with its unique beauty. Something about it draws me to it.

A slight push from Tauriel behind me, reminds me to keep moving. Its not long before we pull up to a large platform at the centre of the chamber, where an elaborate throne sits. I'm placed at the centre and two guards take their place, standing behind me, in case I try to make a run for it.

I roll my eyes.

As if I'd be that stupid.

"You are to wait here," says Nëniel; an air of authority has returned to her voice. "I will get the King."

I can understand why she makes a good Captain. She reminds me of myself. I hide my understanding smile as she walks off to find the King. It's not long before she returns.

"He'll be here shortly," she relays to her sister and takes her place to the left of the throne, facing me.

As we wait in silence, I take in my surroundings, trying to calculate an escape route should this meeting go sour. A loud voice jolts me from my thoughts.

"So here she is." The king's voice echoes across the chamber.

I look up at him as he slowly glides down the staircase.

"Our supposed," he draws his words out lazily. "... daughter of Elrond."

His robes billow behind him as he seats himself on the gilded wood-carved throne, raising an unimpressed eyebrow at me. I stand tall and glare at him, my lips parting as I flash him my teeth.

"I see she's quite the rebel."

He pauses, looking with amusement at my expression.

He turns to Nëniel.

"Did she give you much trouble?" he asks.

She bows her head, speaking quickly. "No, my King."

He raises his eyebrows, looking back at me in surprise.

"Yet here she is, as stubborn as ever, this..." he saunters over to me, and grabs my face with his left hand, inspecting it. "... daughter of Elrond."

"You know, for someone who denies it, you seem to use that title quite a lot," I drawl lazily.

I pull out of his grasp and a smirk grows on my face as sharp anger distorts the King's face but it's gone as quickly as it came.

"You want your freedom?" His voice is back to its normal melodic drawl.

He leans forward in his seat, eyes boring into mine. "Prove that your worth it."

My nostrils flare as I glower up at him.

"And what would you have me do..." I drawl, my tone scornful. "... Your Majesty?"

He ignores my mockery and standing up from his throne, tosses a sword at my feet.

I watch it as it clatters to the ground.

"Unbind her," he orders sharply, and I feel the bonds around my hands fall loose.

Shaking out my sore hands and pick up the sword. I swing it in my hand and give the Woodland King a sideways glance.

"I certainly hope you don't think fighting you is worth my time." I taunt, raising my eyebrows at him.

His laugh is deep and throaty.

"You flatter yourself if you think a King would stoop as low as dueling with his prisoners," he mocks.

I bristle at his harshness.

"No," he continues softly. "You will be fighting my son."

I furrow my brow in confusion.

"The prince?" I ask, wondering why he would risk his own son.

"Yes, the prince. And if the rich blood you claim to have really does flow through your veins–" He pauses, looking down at me. "–you should have no trouble beating him."

I lift my head, my eyes narrowed at the challenge.

"But if it doesn't–" He speaks in a threatening whisper, sending a chill down my spine. His eyes flicker dangerously. "I warn you now, my son will not hesitate to kill you."