2.23 Natural stupidity

Asha continues to stare blankly at the sand in front of her, feeling Aang stomp behind her.  She doesn't flinch, move or even glance as he yells at the poor Earth bender. 

"How could you let them take Appa, or Gumi?! Why didn't you stop them?!" Aang yells, and even if they aren't connected yet, Asha can feel the rage flow through him. 

"I couldn't! The library was sinking! You guys were still inside and-" Toph tries defending herself, swinging her arms. 

"You could have come get us! Asha and I could've saved them!" 

Asha only stands, looking to the miles and miles of sand before her. She glares, as if the sand was responsible, which in a way; it was. There was nothing Toph could've done. she had no way of reaching them without getting dragged under with them. There was no way she could've saved them and Gumi and Appa. 

Yet, even if Asha knew this, an angry and ruthless part of her still blamed Toph.

"I can hardly feel any vibrations out here. The sand benders snuck up on me! And there wasn't time for-" Toph yells again, stomping her foot despite the very angry Avatar before her. 

"You just didn't care! You never liked either of them! You wanted them gone!" Aang yells again. Asha can feel Toph's gaze (Gaze being a loose word, more-less Toph looking in Asha's general direction for help) on her but doesn't turn. 

"Aang, stop it. You know Toph did all she could. She saved out lives." Katara, Asha guesses, tries to be a peacemaker. 

"Who's going to save our lives now?" Raiko asks, snarking. Asha can feel his gaze too. 

"We'll never make it out of here. " Sokka whines. 

Asha can't stand there anymore, not with the conflict bubbling around, waiting to burst. Now with her emotions all over the place like they are right now. Twirling her staff, she allows the light purple wings to flop out, showing their beautifully done details, done in a darker purple. 

"And where do you think your going?" Raiko spots her first, just as she prepares to glide away. 

"I'm going to look for Gumi; Appa too. It's better than standing here and fighting." She finally turns, looking to all of their gazes.  She spots two gazes break, her icy blue eyes staring down the rest.  Deciding that no one else is brave enough- or stupid enough- to challenge her, she takes flight. She hears her name called, then Aang's. Looking beside her, Aang glides; determination written all over his face. 

And just like that, the two air benders disappear from the others sight. 

___

The two fly in silence. Aang trying his bison whistle, only to start descending after. Asha follows the two landing on a dune.  

"Appa! Gumi!" Aang calls, staring over the horizon. He quickly looks over to Asha, the girl once again yelling in frustration. He's shocked as she raises her staff, slamming into the sand, creating a large mushroom cloud of Sand. He rushes to wrap an arm around the girl, letting her sob, heart breaking sobs that wrack her body, into his shoulder. He holds her tightly as his own tears break from his eyes.

The two sit there, holding onto the last things of comfort to one another. They sit there until sunset, all tears shed; emotions broken and will power diminished. Unfolding their gliders, they fly back to the group in an unspoken agreement. 

They find them shortly after, landing beside them with minimal effort. Raiko is first to react, wrapping an arm around his pupil. She nuzzles into him, almost certain she would cry if she had anymore tears. He says nothing to the girl, only watching as she folds her glider.