Side Chapter: Burning Starvation

*???, Mountain Tops*

Qrow was not in a good mood. He was tired, bored and very, very drunk. But then again, he was always drunk, so that last one wasn't an issue.

He was taking a break from his latest mission at a nice small town. Good bar, good beer, good women, what's not to love? He was busting his butt on secret missions all the time. Sure, this was super important and detrimental to humanity's future, but surely Ozpin wouldn't mind if he cracked open a few cold ones on his way back, right?

Sadly, he can't ever enjoy himself.

He had heard rumors about a strange Grimm attacking people at the roads near the mountains. It picked up it's prey and flew away. He was on his way to slay this monster. But dear Oum, he hated climbing.

He eventually made it to a good altitude, it wasn't super high, but his Aura would get depleted by about half if he fell.

???: Pleasure to meet you.

He suddenly turned, sword in hand. What was that? He didn't hear anything, he felt it. It's like as if...

???: I am above you, human.

He looked up and saw the strangest Grimm he had ever seen look down at him from a couple of rocks above him. It was purple instead of black, it didn't attack immediately, and it...spoke?

Qrow: What are you?!

Merkava: What, not who? Though I suppose that is to be expected of a monster like myself. You may call Merkava.

Qrow: Are you the Grimm eating travelers?

At first, he said nothing. Qrow's anger rose, only for it to be momentarily pause at seeing the monster's body language. It looked...sad.

Merkava: Indeed, I have occasionally consumed travelers. My words may mean nothing, but I did my best to control myself.

Qrow: You're right. Your words mean nothing, especially since they come from a Grimm.

Merkava paused, as if he was thinking about something.

Merkava: Grimm...those are the black creatures that are attracted to negativity. I have encountered a few. Like Voids, they're mindless creatures. I've only encountered those which resemble wolves and bears.

Qrow was confused and agitated. Did this Grimm not know it's own species?

Qrow: (I suppose that doesn't matter.) No hard feelings, bud. But I'll have to stop you from eating anyone else.

Merkava: Amusing. You believe you can end my misery? Especially when you cannot seem to overcome your own?

The Huntsman froze for a brief second before quickly reaching his blade, his eyes solely focusing on the strange Grimm before him.

Qrow: The hell do you know about me?!

Merkava: I do not require the instincts of an animal to catch your scent of alcohol. You are a Huntsman, correct? That means you also possess Aura. I wonder, does Aura heal alcohol poisoning? Well, I suppose that does not matter.

Qrow switched his sword to gun mode and fired at the creature, only for it to effortlessly dodge the bullets.

Merkava: You seem lost and alone. Most misfortunate, just like the crow. Is that where your name comes from? 

He had enough. He switched back to sword mode and charged in. Merkava spread his wings and took flight to avoid the attack.

Qrow: (The bastard can fly too?!)