03

symere

"woah, woah, woah. he wants you to do what?" asked steve, biting into the oily slice of pizza.

it was saturday and steve asked syd and i to help him babysit his five year old nephew, jacob. we thought it was going to be easy. you know, chilling on the couch and playing board games. normal shit.

but no.

this lil nigga made us take him to chuck e. cheese and has been playing nonstop for almost three hours...

to make it even worse, i had to tutor jordan in one hour and my clothes, as well as steve and syd, was covered in silly string since many kids got little cans of it for free.

"i said he asked to help him get with megan," i explained to steve again, carefully taking out the silly string that got in syd's hair.

"okay, what's the catch. don't you still have a crush on him?" steve asked before burping out loud. syd smacked her lips.

"really nigga? c'mon on now," she stated, fanning a hand in front of her nose.

"what? my burps don't stink," he responded, sipping his soda. i plucked another piece of silly string out her hair.

"anyways... i don't like him anymore-" before i could finish my sentence, syd and steve looked at each other and started giggling.

i stopping picking at syd's hair. "what's so funny? i wanna laugh," i said irritably. syd covered her mouth with her hand.

"YOU funny nigga," steve answered, stuffing another bite in his mouth. syd tilted her head in agreement.

"you know you still like him symere. you've had an eye on him since junior year in high school after that culinary class," added syd, dusting off her clothes to get more silly string off of her.

"when he graduated, you literally looked like you were about to cry," steve wiped his mouth with a napkin.

"on god! he was moping around school for the rest of his junior year when he couldn't see jordan anymore," added syd.

"low key i think you wanted to come to georgia state just because of him," steve said, rubbing his stomach as he slumped down in his seat.

"and what about it?" i mumbled, looking at my phone's reflection to check if i had anything in my hair.

"a crush that long gotta mean something. ask him if he's straight," said steve, looking around the building for his wild nephew. the building was packed with kids and parents. "where is that little nigga," he muttered, shifted his head side by side.

i checked the time on my phone. "i'm pretty sure he's one hundred percent straight. i gotta go y'all. tutoring starts in a min," i announced, sliding out of the tiny booth.

"aww, damn. well, bye symere," said steve, giving me a quick side hug. syd waved bye.

"text me," she told me, grabbing a slice of pizza.

"ugh, i guess it's just me and the gremlin now, huh?" said steve, looking at the syd with a repulsive look on his face.

"shut up whore. you love me," she said, spraying him in the face with silly string. steve quickly wiped off his face, sputtering to get it from around his mouth.