12

jordan

"so destin is really leaving?"

"yeah apparently so..."

my mom handed me the heavy bowl filled with sweet cake batter to stir while she grabbed frosting from the cabinet. i lazily stirred the bowl, suddenly regretting coming home to visit.

"where's dad and alexis?" i asked my mom who gave me an apologetic glance as she closed the fridge. it's around 8 pm and the only person i've been around so far is my mom. i was growing impatient.

"they went shopping so lexi could have a new swimsuit for her swim meets and then they're going to see a movie. they'll be back sooner than you think. you getting tired of me or something?" she suggested, smiling softly at me before taking the bowl out of my reach once she saw i wasn't stirring anymore. she brushed her curly hair out her face.

"never. i missed you but i talk to you almost everyday. i never see lexi," i told her honestly, taking my phone out my back pocket once i heard a notification go off. my mom hummed as poured the yellow mix into cupcake cups.

"your phone been going off a lot. new girl?" i scoffed at her question, looking at the picture symere sent me of him at the pool.

"nah, i'm chilling right now," i answered her eventually, putting my phone face down on the cold counter.

"what happened to that megan girl?" she questioned with a raised eyebrow. i quirked my head up at the mention of meg's name. i haven't talked to her in like three days and all our conversations have been short. she wanted to see me after spring break but i declined.

"we cool," i said in a plain voice. my mom put the cupcakes in the oven gently, holding her lower back as she lifted her body back up.

"well, i'm about to take a nap. keep an eye out for the cupcakes please," she told me strictly, pointing her finger at me.

"ight ma i got you." she walked around the island and kissed my forehead before walking about the wooden stairs that led to her room.

i checked the time on the black oven that displayed fifteen minutes. fifteen minutes to spare... i groaned, sitting up from the small seat and stretching my body out. i grabbed my phone and trotted downstairs to the basement to where my room was located.

i bellyflopped on my bed, feeling completely worn out. my phone started to ring making me groaned loudly into the soft sheets. i quickly glanced at my phone screen that displayed symere's contact picture. he was trying to facetime me.

i sat up immediately, putting my head on my pillow and adjusting my shirt so i looked decent. i answered his call, patiently waiting for symere's face to pop out. the second it did, a huge smile took over my face.

simp shit.

"hiii," he told me cheerfully. he closed a door behind him and appeared to lay down in a bed. his dreads were now the color of tree leaves and grass. he shook them out before laying his head down.

"hey moss head," i answered back to him. my answer made him roll his eyes and reach up to pull a dread down to his face.

"shut up," he muttered, pouting at me.

"i'm playing sy. you look cute as fuck." that made him start cheesing again.

"thank you. i got bored after a while." he rolled over on his stomach and looked at the screen sternly as if he was lookin for something to compliment.

"you finished editing your part of the yearbook?" i asked him. he pursed his lips and glanced away from his phone, appearing to eye something ahead of him.