04

jordan

i took deep breaths, the loud chanting outside of the locker room was driving my anxiety insane.

"you guys need to get your head in the game! those suckers out there shouldn't stand a god damn chance against y'all. we're here to bring our great college justice! when this game is done, kennesaw better be wiping up tears and blood on that field! do y'all understand!"

"yes coach reeves!" we all shouted at once. i grabbed the gold necklace pendant with alexis' name on it from around my neck and pressed the cold metal against my lips before holding it in my hand tightly.

my parents were finally able to attending another game and i was so fucking nervous.

sweat dripped down my torso. i rolled my shoulders backward and shaking my dreads out before putting my football helmet on.

"aye, jordan, you good?" asked destin. he put his hands in my shoulders and leaned his helmet on mine. i shook my head.

"you got this jordan. remember if anything goes wrong, no matter what, i'm here. c'mon man," he said, pushing on my patted back as the rest of the team members walked out the locker room.

strong, fresh air seized my nostrils, making me breath easier. i heard the whistle blow loudly, signaling for the team to get in our positions.

i tried my best to mute out the piercing screaming from the crowd and focus on the opponent in front of me.

our college hated kennesaw and we always lost to them. but that's not gonna happen today. i would make sure of it.

••

"alright! get 'em off each other! help break them apart!"

some kennesaw nigga, stokeley, used all his weight to shove me on the ground. i was about to punch him before someone grabbed my arm and a coach pulled stokeley off of me.

"if we weren't on this field nigga i would fuck you up! deadass!" stokeley yelled, trying to get in my face again before destin and another one of my teammates, miles, stepped in front of me when some other kennesaw players walked up.

"i know y'all niggas ain't thinking about jumping," spoke miles when the other players took off their helmets. i sighed and put my head down when destin took his helmet off, getting closer to the other players.

"oh my fucking god - ALRIGHT! everybody split up! we taking a break," yelled a frustrated coach who look like he was seconds away from tearing his hair out.

did i mention that we were winning?

the rest of the pissed kennesaw players walked back to their benches. i sat down in our area, taking my helmet off before letting it drop to the ground.

i was already so fucking stressed out from work and school and i thought a game would help but it was making it worse.

i blew air out my mouth harshly, clenching my jaw as i looked around for my parents in the crowd.

behind me, a few rows back, stood my parents. my mom looked worried as she held alexis in her lap who was the complete opposite, full of joy. my dad, however, looked disappointed.