5) Burned

Barry was tailing Terri, while Caitlin and Cisco returned to the hotel. They wrote down all ideas and leads, using the floor instead or their glassy board in STAR Labs. It was... not what they were used to. They had never realized how comfortable their space was and how fond of all the toys they had had grown. At least the passion for solving mysteries had followed them to New York.

"This is a terrible work ethic," Caitlin hummed and Cisco rolled his eyes, not admitting out loud that he completely agreed. Oh god, he missed his chair and... he really needed something to chew. Why didn't they stop by for something sweet? His brain needed sugar, dammit.

And he needed Felicity too, but she hadn't been picking up her phone earlier. He tried again. To his surprise, he got lucky this time.

"Hey, Cisco. Is everything alright?" Felicity sounded worried, immediately assuming something must have gone wrong.

Cisco flashed Caitlin an excited grin, putting the other woman on speaker while he seated himself in an armchair. "Everything's perfect. I have a question."

"Uhm. Okay? Is it about a meta? I thought you guys were in New York...?"

"That we are. We stopped by the café - you were right, I think their caramel latté actually beats Jitters' one."

Caitlin let out a silent giggle at Cisco's note. It was uncharacteristic of her, but Cisco's smile only grew at that. They all had had a rough couple of months - it was great to see her happy.

"Right?! So amazing..."

"Baristas are cool too. They can kick ass, apparently."

"What?" Felicity blurted out, taken aback. Cisco smirked. Busted. She soooo know something.

"Oh, funny story, there was a robbery-"

"What?! Are you guys okay? When?" Furious typing on a keyboard could be heard and Cisco was sure Felicity was already looking for a security footage. And she apparently found it, because she burst out in a second. "Oh my god, Caitlin, are you alright?!"

"Yes, Felicity, I'm fine. Thanks," the doctor assured her gently, a fond smile on her lips. Caitlin wouldn't admit it, but it was nice to talk to another woman. Iris was okay, nice too, but Felicity... Caitlin had a different kind of understanding with her.

"Oh. I can't get the sound. What happened there? ...Holy-"

"Right?!" Cisco interjected, unable to keep the thrill from soaking into his voice. "Vera can totally kick ass. We might have mentioned that you, Felicity, sent us to the café. Her reaction was really strange..."

There was a short silence on the other end of the line and Cisco felt the well-known satisfaction of being right lighting up every cell in his body.

"Oh. Yeah... we- she was-- uhm, nice," Felicity stuttered, clearly ncomfortable. "We were fighting with Oliver a little, she--- well, I don't know, she was nice, I think she was mocking Oliver..."

"More spunk than I thought then," Cisco hummed, exchanging a surprised glance with Caitlin, who seemed equally taken aback. "Did you know she was dating Daredevil?"

"What? No- I mean-" Felicity cleared her throat awkwardly. "Who's Daredevil?"

"Aww, come on, Felicity. You know who I'm talking about. Don't tell me you went to Hell's Kitchen with no research. I'm not buying that."

"Okay, fine. You mean that guy. He was called the Devil of Hell's Kitchen at the time."

"Hm... now this is interesting. Rumour has it there was some really weird thing happening recently, a building went kaboom. Daredevil was involved and apparently, there were two archers at the scene. One of them wore Oliver's outfit and the other had Roy's. Funny coincidence."