10

~10~

Samuel stood at the top of the wooden step leading down to the back yard of the mansion, and watched Maxime Lacroix.

Maxime had gone down the stairs without much of his help and was groping about the grass with his white cane.

Samuel could tell he was gentle by the way he tapped the cane on the ground. He had an air of certainty, so contagious, yet so sad.

Maxime had banded those dark curls into a ponytail and he looked absolutely gorgeous.

Samuel walked down towards the man. So far he hoped Maxime will accept him... Trust him...

The two men wore different shades of blue shirts. While Maxime wore an oversized sky blue sweater and sweat pants, the other had a darker shade of shirt tucked in a black jean.

Samuel had been noticing the man's favorite colors and brands: white, sky blue, black, Lacoste, Yves Saint Laurent.

The exceptional backyard of the Lacroix mansion benefits from a 300 square metre garden. Surrounded by different fruitful trees, the overgrown branches hung over the walkway creating a shining shade off the sun. The garden was gratefully cool and quiet.

    "There is a blue plum tree over there," Maxime pointed at a direction with his cane.

Samuel gazed in the direction.    
    "Yes,"

    "Are there fruits now?"

    "Still budding."

Maxime smiled.
    "I thought I could get some."

    "I can get some from the market if you really want blue plum."

Maxime tilted his head to the sound of his voice.

    "Can I go with you?"

    "No, you can't."

    "Why? Why do you all treat me like a prisoner?"

Because someone made you one.

Samuel wasn't sure how to react to that outcry. He watched the man walk further into the trees.

    "Maybe we should talk about you, Maxime," he said boldly. "What do you know?"

    "What do you mean? Are you trying to investigate something?"

    "No. I want to know what you think about all this happening around you."

Maxime took a deep breath.

    "I'm sorry I have to be blunt," Samuel continued. "All we know for sure is that you are blind, but there's more to it."

    "Strange, but true," he nodded. "What more is there about it?"

    Samuel breathed. "The fact that someone wants you dead."

He also knew getting blind was not part of the plan. He knew they are trying to sweep the details under the carpet, which was becoming difficult to achieve. But Rochelle knew better, didn't she?

Maxime balanced his weight on his aching feet. He needed to sit down. But he attempted to shift his weight to the cane.

Was somebody on his side now? Can Samuel really see what he has been feeling for a while now? Was he seriously talking to him about it?

    "On that fateful day, I was with my dad in his car. He told me I'm special and different and that I shouldn't let anyone intimidate me. He told me part of his shares to the company had been written in my name and I should keep it a secret away from mom."

    "Why would he say to keep it away from her?"

    "I don't know Samuel, before Ms Philippe died, she told me she never liked my mother or there was something about the way she looked at me. She was not specific to say."

Samuel recalled Antoine.

    "I guess she was right."

Maxime turned somber. He let the white cane fall on the grass, and he lowered himself to a full squat.

Out of impulse, Samuel ran imaginary medical tests on him. Was he having a heart attack? A manic depression or fainting spells?

Maxime rubbed on the bandage on his eyes, wrinkling up his face in angst.
    "I knew it. I knew it... Nobody is saying anything, nobody is doing nothing about it, about me..."

    "I'm going to do something about it, if you can trust me. Ms Philippe wouldn't have died the way she did if there was nothing suspicious going on. But she did and that means something."

Maxime turned his head away from the soothing voice.

    "I'm sorry," Samuel said. He shook her head. "I just hope we are not too late."

Maxime began to tremble. He covered his mouth with his tight fist. He wondered if it was already late.

    "I'm so afraid," he whispered amidst sobs. "I feel so alone and afraid."

Samuel placed his warm hands on the frail shoulders of the man and brought him up to standing position. He searched his face for any vital signs.

    "Help me please. Help me," Maxime whispered.

He leaned against the Samuel who took the badly shaking man in his arms. Samuel could feel genuineness in his emotions. His fears, his dreadful loneliness. He had been there before so he understood the gravity of the pain. Just that Maxime's was double.

He was a little surprised when the heir wrapped his arms around his back.