53

~53~

The man with the gun got back into his car and headed for the court. He was getting irritated by this freaking game of hide and seek. It's been almost an hour and counting since that man walked into the store.

Where did he go? Damn it!

His hands was becoming itchy. It's been a while he pulled a trigger on some one. Boss have been letting those sons out bitches off too easily. First it was Juliette, he would loved to watch the lady bleed to death after he depositing a bullet at the back of her head. Boss terminated the plan, he said it will be too messy.

There was only one place where everyone will be meeting. He knew where so he drove straight to town.

He sped along 10 Boulevard du Palais and brought the car to a stop in front of the court house. He studied the front of the massive grey building. There were a few people coming up and going down the stairs. He took out his gun and inspected it. He looked at his reflection in the inner mirror. He smoothed his hair once again to the back and flattened the one week old beard sprouting above his lips. He smacked his lips and twitched his jaw.

He has to look good doing what knows best.

Now he will have to wait till they dismiss. This time he was not going to be lenient on his victim.

Wait.

A taxi just pulled up in front of his car. Was it up to twenty minutes already. He could see people crowding the exit end of the court. A wicked smirk crept up his face.

And what a coincidence, Mr Samuel Jacquet just stepped out of the taxi.

Just in time.

~~~~~~

The court officer announced for a quick break. Maxime felt like a celebrity within few minutes. Familiar and not so familiar faces greeted and shook hands with him.

He wasn't discouraged one bit. He knew the trial was going well in his favor. The judge lost it when he said he had regained his sight with a new doctor.

That means there was something wrong with the doctors working with Emile.

He watched Emile, Fabien and Berger follow the judge with bitter looks on the faces - into his office. The absolute shock on their faces was thrilling to look out. Maxime wanted to laugh but he held it in.

His eyes roved the courtroom.  Joelene was at a corner chatting away with Henrietta and Husein.

Where is Samuel?

While Sebastian and Juliette stayed back to discuss their next line of action, Maxime excused himself. His phone was on his ears when he stepped out of the court premises, alongside others who wanted to take a break.

That was when he sighted the man. Clearly, Maxime saw a gun in his hand. His eyes widened when the man began to make his way up the stairs towards the front of the court house.

Only there was too many stairs to climb. He had no such time to waste.

Maxime moved back. He was confused. Time seemed to slow down. When he turned again the man was pointing the gun at his direction. The look on his face spelt KILL.

Maxime's heart fell.

"He has a gun!" One of the court officers shouted as loud as he could. "Everybody go down!"

The people outside scampered in different directions. Others ran back inside the building for their safety.

Another officer pointed at the man, quickly speaking detailed information in his walkie talkie.

The man's eyes was covered in dark rimmed glasses. He was the same man who had trailed Juliette back at the hospital, and almost ran Samuel over at Provins. He knew them so well. But he wasn't here for games.

Not this time sons of bitches.

With one swift motion, the man lifted his left hand where the gun was caged - fully loaded, he aimed the black metal at his target, this time with more agitation. 

Maxime hurled himself to a corner. His insides coiled up to a tight knot.

The man did not waver in his target.

He pulled the trigger.

A loud bang went off - the strong effect echoing throughout the massive court house and it's environs. Then a second blast followed, this time the crippling effect lingered in the air.

Maxime's chest bucked as it received the jolting effects of the shot. Gun powder smoke immediately contaminated the air.

The man had shot twice in the same direction. A lady screamed at a near distance but it was a distraction. Others ran back into the building seeking cover. Maxime couldn't move. His whole body shivering from the impact. He looked up.

What he saw was like a mirage. A human shadow loomed across him.

For a moment he didn't see the gunman. Rather, a bloody Samuel Jacquet standing few meters away from him. Behind him some three or four uniformed men successfully overpowered the gunman and dragged him away.

Sam...?

Samuel staggered forward at first. He didn't think he would be weak immediately. He missed a step as he tried to reach Maxime. There was about ten to fifteen steps separating him from Maxime. That was when he realized his legs couldn't carry him further.

He'd appeared just in time to take the bullets which hit his back on full impact.

His neck burned.

His lower back burned.

He could feel blood trickling down his spine. His heartbeat became irregular, he could feel the weak organ pumping out blood in large clots to his brain. There was still was a glint of light in his eyes bright enough for him to gaze at the only person he loved.

His heart bled.

It can't end like this, Maxime. It won't end this way. There's no way... I...

Is that it...

Maxime juggled down the steps as fast as he could to hold Samuel before his legs gave way.

Everything was hazy. It seemed the blazing sun stood still in the middle of the sky. Maxime slowly laid Samuel on the ground, his head resting on his chest. Samuel tried to speak but he coughed up saliva. Maxime knew it was a matter of time before his body started regurgitating blood.

NO!

"Samuel..." Maxime patted his face, and rubbed his chest. He didn't want to shake the wounded man. Samuel was weak. Maxime was weaker.

Don't close your eyes,

Look at me,

Samuel?

Maxime couldn't make out coherent words. His hands quivered. An unnatural coldness swept through his body. He wondered if Samuel could hear him at all. If this was a dream he wanted to wake up.

Samuel could feel his system shutting down. He began to slip in and out of consciousness. He was comforted by the warmth of the man holding him. It was peaceful. He could sleep now right.

No?

"Samuel look at me," Maxime pleaded. "Stay with me. PLEASE!"

I'm right here Maxime

Samuel nodded to the words. He swallowed back blood and his throat burned. His lips moved but there was no sound or word.

I can't breathe.

The light in his eyes gradually faded. He peered dimly into the distance and his eyelids slowly slid shut. At that moment his arms went limp.

"SAMUEL NOO! Please No," Maxime cried. He scooped Samuel to his chest and continued to sob uncontrollably.

You can't leave me.

NO!

"Somebody call an ambulance! Someone call an ambulance please."