15

~15~

So this was the set of expensive red wine Alberte had purchased for his marriage anniversary. The wine that greedy Emile will enjoy alone.

The green bottles was labeled CHÂTEAU CANON ST.-EMILION 2015, one of the best wines of the Bordeaux region.

Juliette's eyes roved around the well stacked mini wine cellar, at the far right end of the living room area.

She pulled a long necked dark bottle from the wine cellar. There were six of the same bottle. Prepared and customized for Alberte and Emile anniversary in August. She squinted her eyes in annoyance and picked a wine cup.

Her head ached terribly. She had hoped to meet Emile at home, or better still catch her at home. It was the weekend where will she have gone to?

Juliette strode away from the wine cellar into the living room, her steps unstable. She sat down like a queen, her eyes roving the heavily decorated home.

She reeked her brains for any sign. Any sign to prove that Emile is guilty. She had hated her from the onset. Rumor had it that she had a lover even before Alberte but he was blinded by love.

Pretentious love from a two faced cat like Emile could kill. And kill, it did.

Juliette tried unscrewing the cork with her hands. The strong seal slipped off her hands. She returned to the cellar to pick a wine opener.

A noise from the door caught her attention.
She looked to see Emile standing at the door. Her eyes beaming like she just seen a ghost.

    "My, my... Who do we have here?" Juliette sang, a smile dancing on her thin lips. She waved the wine bottle at Emile.

Emile breathed deeply. Some strands of her loosely pony tailed hair grazed her forehead. Dressed in a clean ensemble of silver pants and blazer, her skin looked red with heat probably from the weather. She placed her silver handbag on the chair closest to her.

    "Just in time for the party. Do you need a glass?" Juliette asked  as she licked her lower lip and raised her eyebrows in a questioning gaze. She unscrewed the cork with the fancy wine opener.

    "Juliette, what do you want?" Emile said calmly.

Juliette ignored her. She poured the thick red liquid into the cup and stopped half way.

    "I heard my brother bought this for your... anniversary,"

Emile rolled her eyes. She rubbed the back of her neck nervously. What did Juliette want now? She had tried her best to avoid meeting with this woman for the past one year.

    "An anniversary that never happened," Juliette continued. She crossed her long legs as she took the cup to her lips. Her knee length flowery dress revealed her hairless legs. "Why are you still keeping the bottles? Do you have another celebration planned out?"

    "You don't come to my house and insult me."

    "Oh... Wait a minute," Juliette uncrossed her legs and stood to her feet. "Your house?" She strode towards the other woman. The liquid in the cup danced dangerously in her hands.

    "Your house? Emile? Really?" Juliette laughed out and finally took a sip from the cup.

Juliette lived with her husband and two teenage daughters in Pilhune estate. A part of her inheritance. She had controlled fifty percent of the Lacroix wealth. Their father had shared it equally between the two siblings. When Alberte decided to bring in a wife, the wealth was further split to accommodate the new wife. Father had said in his will that the first grandson takes full care of the Lacroix wealth.

Juliette recalled vividly when Alberte confided in her about Emile's inability to bear a child and that he would take other options to have a heir by all means and fast.

    "This is Saturday, why did you leave your house? You ought to be taking care of things around your house. Where did you go, Emile? To see your old boyfriend?"

    "You don't know what you are saying." Emile walked to the opposite side to avoid looking at Juliette's nude face. She and Juliette might be age mates but she tried to give her some respect.

Juliette laughed again. She was enjoying the little drama.

    "Admit it Emile, you went to see your old boyfriend. Who's he again?"

Maxime heard the commotion coming from downstairs. He recognized aunt Juliette's sharp voice. He got down from his bed and tiptoed out of his room, just in time to hear his mother's reply.

She laughed sarcastically. "What boyfriend? That is quite flattering."

Flattering indeed. Fabien had been on her mind all day. She had gone to see him after dropping Olga off at Antoine's place.

    "Hmm, Of course. That's your plan. You want my brother's property to yourself, you think things are going to work your way?"

    "Whatever property my husband own belongs to my son, dammit." Emile lashed out. She held up her fingers to her lips as if she meant to say something else.

    "Your son, You mean Maxime, right?"

Emile paused.
    "Maxime, Antoine, both."

    "Is that why you killed Alberte? Father liked you, he adored you. He let you marry Alberte. Is this how you repay him? What are your hiding, Emile?"

    "Nothing! Nothing. Why are you insinuating such lies that I killed my husband?"

    "Voila..." Juliette threw her hands in the air. She gulped down the remaining wine. "The party is over."

    "You were there when this whole thing happened," Emile raised her voice in a belated defense. "What did you do then? I would never do anything to hurt my husband. I'm not like you."

    "What? You lying, sly, sneaky, little thief," Juliette cursed. "I'm going to sue you, and take back what rightfully belongs to my brother. if that will make you start talking."

    "You only want the property for yourself and not your brother! Don't you dare threaten me."

    "Or what? Kill me like you killed Alberte..."

    "Shut up! You don't know what you're saying. Can you prove it. You think I'm afraid of you, Juliette?"

Juliette nodded her head slowly. Emile was calling for war.

    "I will sue you to court and make sure you loose every penny," she gritted her teeth.

    "Yes, sue me, you sure will be hearing from my lawyers," Emile crossed her hands over her chest and looked away.

Juliette stared grimly at her rival.

She stomped towards the door. She pulled the knob aggressively and left the house leaving the door wide open.

Emile resisted the urge to call after her. She wasn't serious about the lawyer threat. If Juliette comes after her, then with father's backing, the table will be turned against her.

What was her problem? What will she do to make her keep quiet. Money? A better position in the company?

What now? So what if she killed her husband. So bloody what.

Emile rested her body on the sofa. She grabbed the open bottle in front of her. All she wanted was a little perfect family. Was it too much to ask? And Alberte, he got what he deserved. She gulped down the red liquid content down her throat.

She had slipped a little there. But Juliette wasn't so quick to catch on.

Yes, she wanted the properties for her perfect boyfriend and son. And that son wasn't Maxime Lacroix.