27

~27~

The skies over Paris had never been so dark and swarthy. There was not a single star in sky. Streaks of lightning stabbed across the city accompanied with low grumbles of thunder.

The masters bedroom in the Lacroix mansion was calm and scrupulously neat. The room was illuminated with yellow lights and the walls shone brightly.

Henrietta must have spent half the day making sure every piece of clothing and items was in its rightful place to avoid the bitter scolding from Emile.

Emile seemed fine tonight. She had always thought of a better way to discharge that medical assistant without raising suspicion. She had almost lost control when Samuel had entered her house, but now she was herself again.

The thin worry lines on her forehead had cleared and a faint glint of joy shone in those dark gray eyes. She moistened her neck and wrists with the night parfume on her dressing table and admired her reflection in the triple mirror stand.

Not looking bad, Emile. She thought to herself. Fabien must be missing her. She had to hurry.

She placed her well manicured hands on the cream colored dressing table and took a deep breath. Opening the last drawer, she brought a small newspaper which was squeezed to hide the powdery content in it. She slowly unwrapped it. The powder was gradually running out.

This should be enough to snuff him out.

She took out a small vial and uncorked it. She emptied the contents in her left palm and stared at the red coloured pills. There was only four tablets left.

Her pills also ran out.

The normal dose was two, but who cares. She loved the euphoric feeling she got when she slightly overdosed. Without thinking she threw the four tablets down her throat and swallowed.

Emile picked up her phone and dialed a number. She reported her progress as usual.

"Do you need more?" The male voice on the other end squeaked.

Emile studied the powdery substance in the newspaper wrap. "No, this will do." she blinked several times as she began to feel the effects of the drugs in her blood stream.

"I will personally come clean up the mess when it is done."

"Good. Disconnect the camera now. I'm going to his room in a moment," she added.

"I think I should disconnect it for the night. It's no use now."

"Good idea."

"I will be expecting you."

Emile disconnected the call and threw the empty vial in a trash basket beside the dressing table. She draped her coco Chanel black dress over her shoulders and matched out of her room.

~~~~

No one could possibly understand how he felt. Maxime couldn't believe any of this was happening to him. Just as everything had changed since the accident in Pont de l'Alma road, even more things are about to change now. He squeezed his eyes shut real hard.

It was brighter and more vivid behind his eyelids than in the room where he laid. Though, the sudden restoration of his sight was as insignificant as a pin dropped in the ever twirling ocean of problems in the universe...

But he can see! He could actually see. Clearly!

The blow to his head must have been so severe to cause such a medical reaction in his brain. It was good news but it may not be permanent. The question that lingered in his mind was, who should he tell about it?