37

~37~

Samuel slumped into the deep leather backseat of the chauffeur-driven taxi. He had just stepped out of the Samsung shop where he got a new smartphone. He held the phone bag tightly in his hands.

His eyes flickered as he watched the buildings fly by while the driver sped down the road. A tight fist of tension had burrowed into his neck sliding down his chest and all day he felt his blood pressure must be hitting the roofs.

He was making progress to say the least. At the end of their little discussion, Juliette had agreed to sue the woman - their common enemy - Emile. She was ready to take it as far as the law allowed her to. She made an assurance that Maxime need not worry about a thing as she will personally deal with Emile especially now there was some evidence to back her up.

Interesting as it may sound, Samuel wondered why he hadn't met Juliette earlier. Her presence inadvertently was making things a lot easier - at least - for now.

As the car flashed through the busy roads in the heart of Paris, he replayed the falling, weak body of Maxime Lacroix. He could still feel his shivering, his moans when he had acted out of emergency and had gone to save him form the mansion. Everything still felt surreal. He had never loved anyone so differently. He had never believed that he would, not even when he was studying in medical school.

When he arrived at his sister's apartment, Samuel prepared a small meal of lasagna and opened a can of beer. After confirming on phone that Joelene was staying over at a friend's place, he tried to rest half his nerves.

It was about fifteen minutes later when he heard the front door open. His forehead was already streaked with sweat when he saw Maxime enter the room.

He not only appeared unharmed, he looked different.

"Hey," Maxime greeted. "You're back early."

Samuel inhaled deeply. He wasn't one to hide his feelings. He obviously thought of the worst case scenario anytime especially with Maxime.

"What?" Maxime raised his eyebrows. He moved towards Samuel.

"What do you mean what? I've been sick worried about you. Why would you leave the house without any information on where you're going?" Samuel burst out.

What if something happened to you, Maxime?

"I just went to get a haircut," Maxime said taking a step back.

"I told you, you didn't need any haircut." Samuel interjected but not denying the fact that Maxime was even more attractive in the new modern quiff hair style.

"I just wanted to have a different look, there's no harm in that."

Samuel flicked his eyes in surprise. He rolled his tongue in his mouth trying to count his words meticulously.
"Can't you just be considerate, about the situation we are in - about my feelings?"

"What have this got to do with your feelings?" Maxime sat back on a chair and placed a throw pillow on his laps.

Samuel recoiled. Maybe he was overacting. He realised he was agitated because there was no reliable means of communication between them. But it seemed appropriate to feel paranoid about everything. If Juliette could suddenly be attacked then it could happen to anyone.

"You know what, here's your phone." Samuel handed the young man a paper bag containing the new smartphone he bought and configured earlier in the day.

"I can take care of myself, you don't have to get worked up about everything," Maxime muttered before grabbing the bag.