25

~25~

Samuel Jacquet was met at the door by the Lacroix housekeeper. He had arrived at the mansion late and still shaken, the irrefutable feeling of Maxime crying at the hospital never left him. He thought he was so close to saving the estranged heir. He guessed Maxime had hoped so too.

Difficult to admit but he was wrong. The thought of failure eluded him at this point.

What if he had failed?
What if he couldn't save Maxime?
What if this is the end?

A negative feeling taunted his heart. He had decided to drive the heir home that night after pondering over what the nurse told him. At this rate Emile was inescapable.

He trudged into the living room along with Maxime who had remained quiet all through the ride. Most of the lights illuminating the interior of the mansion have been turned off for the night. Samuel didn't notice Emile sitting in her favorite chair in the middle of the room until she spoke.

"Henrietta, you take Maxime to his room. Mr Jacquet, can I have a word with you," her thin voice cracked through the air.

Samuel stopped in his tracks as Henrietta held Maxime's hands and led him up the stairs. He turned to face the woman.

"I suppose you may have noticed that Maxime's condition has gotten worse lately," Emile glared at nothing in particular. Her face was bare, without makeup and her hair laid loosely over her slim shoulders. "I'm afraid I will no longer be needing your services."

The words hit Samuel like falling bricks but he maintained a steady, cordial look. He brooded inside. All he needed was time and evidence - strong enough to put this woman behind bars.

Since Maxime never mentioned anything about not having him as his nurse, he decided to fight his case.

"Ma'am... Your son should be taking such decisions. He is the one who needs help."

And not you...

"I know my son more than you do," Emile said. "I know what's best for him. You can not correct what the best doctors in Paris have ruled off, can you? Let me take it from here."

"Can I say something..."

"You have nothing to say!"

"But ma'am, Maxime could get better. He only needs more..."

"Mr Samuel..." Emile frowned. "Don't make this more difficult for you. I don't need your services anymore."

She stood from the chair and walked towards the stairs making sure to stay few metres away from Samuel. "Send your bill tomorrow and I will write you a cheque. Henrietta please see our guest to the door."

Samuel wiped his face and squeezed his lips exerting much pressure as he exhaled. He watched Emile walk gracefully up the stairs and the only thought that ran through his mind was shooting her with bullets from a 33 caliber pistol.

Had he known this will be his last time of seeing Maxime, he would have spent more time with him at the hospital. He would have shared the precious moment with Maxime. He would have expressed his true feelings and intentions.

He would have...

He can't believe he didn't see this coming.

Henrietta was already at the door holding the knob, her round eyes droopy from lack of sleep. She had changed from her work clothes to a simple white night gown that accentuated her petite figure.

"I think you should listen," She whispered. Her large eyes darting gently here and there.
"And leave... Hurry."

Samuel's eyes slid off to the side. He sensed Henrietta wasn't just as ignorant as she appeared to be.

"Can you help him?" He said.

Henrietta shook her head in the negative. A faint smile that neither showed joy nor sadness danced on her pale lips.

"Please..." Samuel pleaded. He felt hopeless at this point. He searched his jean pockets for his wallet. If he could hand her his contact card, maybe she will give him a call.

Maybe...

"Henrietta shut the door."  Emile's harsh voice echoed from up the rail, shutting down any hope of furrher communication between the two.

"Yes ma'am."

Samuel stopped the door half way, his right palm plastered on the iron surface. He held out his contact card towards Henrietta.

"It's a matter of life and death." Samuel said again. He watched the lady purse her lips suspiciously. "Did you know?"

Henrietta fidgeted in fear. "I know nothing," she blurted out. She shooed Samuel away and shut the huge white door.