43

~43~

Antoine was devastated by the time he got to the airport. His chest hurt, his head hurt, he wanted to smash something so bad. He was a little sober now. After drinking all weekend he was lightheaded and only recalled few of his actions.

Had he call Fabien?. What did they talk about? Olga?

'I will do anything you want, just let her go.'

'Say Please dad. That's not too difficult to say, is it?'

'I have already told you that I will do what you want.'

'I'm not sure you want to see Olga alive.'

'Haha Okay. Okay. Dad... Please dad.'

'That's more like it, son. How does that feel, SON?'

I feel like punching you in the face you son of a...

Antoine hit the steering wheel with his right fist so hard he feared it might get broken. What did he do?

For pete's sake, he had negotiated with Fabien in his drunken state.

'Support me and I will release Olga. Maxime is not your blood. Get that in your thick skull. We will blackmail him and kick him out of the company.'

He had recited it like a pledge. Now he made Olga look like a piece of collateral in exchange for some selfish wanting. Antoine struck the wheel again. This time his fingers hurt.

The plane landed in fifteen minutes. What will he tell Olga? That he couldn't protect her because he was a coward.

He made his way to the point of arrivals and paced.

When the doors slid open, he waited in anticipation. There were mostly couples, then couples with kids, then the singles who were busy with their phones. And...

Where is Olga?

Antoine ran a hand through his hair. He took out his phone from his pant pocket and made to dial a number.

The door slid open for the last time and then he saw her, accompanied by an air hostess. Antoine's heart crumbled seeing her.

"Olga..." Antoine called. He didn't wait for her to get to him. He ran over to her. He thanked the hostess and hugged Olga.

"I'm so sorry," Antoine murmured to her hair. "I'm really sorry."

"What did you do?" Olga cried. She wiped her face with a mini towel.

Olga was down with the flu. She was wearing an oversized green sweater and a black sweat pant. She sniffed her runny nose at intervals.

"Baby I did nothing I swear. It was ..."

"I was in danger Antoine. I almost died. I hate you." Olga hit Antoine on his chest continuously. Yes he deserved it.

"I'm sorry Olga. Let's go home."

Forgive me Olga but i have sold my soul to the devil.

~~~~~~~

"You've been on the bathroom too long. Are you okay? In there?"

No answer.

"Olga?"

Antoine wriggled the door knob. "Can you let me in so we can talk about whatever that is bothering you."

No answer.

He burst through the doors. His eyes scanned the area for any signs of trouble. He saw Olga  seated at the toilet seat, still wearing his oversized polo and panties.

Olga didn't move. Her gaze was locked in thin air, both hands tightly held together in place between her slim thighs.

"Are you crying?" Antoine squats in front of his lady.

"No."

He rubs her hair and face. He feels pity for what she's been through already. His gaze dropped to her arms.
"What is in your hands? Are you hiding something there?"

"It's nothing."

Antoine kneels fully. "You don't look good babe. If you don't tell me how will I know?"
He made to pull her arms from the grip of her thighs but Olga resisted.

"Olga..."

Olga sighed and released her hands. She showed him the piece of device in her hand. Antoine took it and studied it but he couldn't make any meaning from it. Olga stood up and flushed the toilet, she tried to walk out the bathroom but Antoine held her back.

"What's this?"

A faint shock appeared on Olga's already reddening face. "You don't know?"

"No."

"It's a pregnancy test kit."

"What does it say?"

Olga breathed. "It's positive. I'm pregnant."

"What? I mean when? Did they touch you?"
Antoine asks abruptly. He paused when he realized he asked a stupid question.

"How can you say that?"
Olga stumped out of the bathroom.
"I've been having symptoms for three weeks. "

"I mean... Does that mean it's my baby?"

"Who else? It's yours," Olga retorted. She was fully annoyed now.

"Olga you don't know what this means to me. It's my baby. Our baby." Antoine's eyes beamed with joy. Finally something to make him happy. A good news in the middle of all this chaos.

Olga got in bed and covered her aching body with the duvet.
"I haven't decided to keep it yet," Olga announced rather brutally.

Antoine felt ice cubes hit him hard. "I know how you feel. I... Can we keep it please. It's my baby remember."

Olga turned around and faced Antoine. "What about my career? My future? Moreover I'm scared of your mother."

Olga wiped her nose.

"My mother has nothing to do with this, okay," Antoine said.

"Antoine?"

"Hey... Listen to me. This baby is my responsibility. Let's keep it a secret. We can Leave for another city or country and start over just me and you."

Antoine stared into Olga's eyes. His was pretty sure his words was convincing enough. Then he dropped the million dollar question.

"Will you marry me?"