35

~35~

Where are you Juliette?

The man took a long walk down the lonely halls towards the north side of the building; his intentions brewing with each step. He was already fantasising about the kill; quick, deadly and peaceful.

The hospital was also the workplace of Samuel Jacquet who by the way was also on his death logs.

But he was here for Juliette on specific orders.

He held the flower bowl in his hands feeling the weight of the weapon beneath his palm. He had made a good choice of buying white roses for Juliette. It was his first time buying such frivolous thing and it made him look like a sissy. He had better things to do with his hard earned money;  like going to a bar and downing his insides with strong liquor, seeping cigarettes and having fun with the ladies.

There were nurses passing here and there and none seem to have taken notice of him.

He didn't want to take the elevator obviously there are cameras in those things. He would be detected easily. The man felt a little brazen as he slowly made is way up the winding staircase to the second floor.

He was heading to the emergency ward. All he had to look out for was a symbol for female patient ward.

He pushed open swinging doors and was immediately met by a nurse.

"Hello..." The woman said with a puzzled look on her face.

"Just came to see Juliette Vallario."

"I'm afraid you can't see her now. She's not in her room at the moment."

"Could you perhaps tell me where I can find her."

Perhaps? The man bluffed at the word.

The woman nodded and motioned on the man to follow her which he did reluctantly. He held the urge to grab and snap her neck. That, of course he would do if she made any suspicious move.

By the time they got to the hospital cafeteria, the  space was half empty. Most hungry patients had already taken their fill of the breakfast menu and were gradually making their way back to their rooms.

The nurse excused herself and got back to her work.

The man scanned the area but there was no sign of the woman he came looking for. But one thing was certain, she was alive. He would perhaps leave the flower with the receptionist. Hopefully, when it gets delivered, Juliette would get the message.

~~~~

"Step aside, ma'am." The head of the team said, a frown hung on his face and he was losing his patience.

Emile was frustrated as well. At this point the last thing she wanted to do was to allow the men search Maxime's room. It was totally stinking with evidence that will irrevocably ruin her plans, her life and every damn thing she worked for up until this point.

"No." She shook her head.

"It's an order!"

"This room has not been used for almost a year. I see no reason why you should search it," Emile's voice quivered. She gripped the door knob tightly.

"This is for your own good. Step aside and let us complete our business."

"No," she repeated. Her blood pounded and her voice got intense.

"We will be forced to go physical." Another Paris policeman, a young trooper in navy blue jacket held out his bulky arms in akimbo.

Emile laughed at him.

The young officer spoke to his walkie talkie clinging on  his left shoulder. He mentioned something about the woman showing signs of mental illness and delusional behavior.

"Yes sir," the officer said into the walkie talkie. He turned his gaze back at Emile. "We have gotten permission from the head office to abort the search. You will be charged for obstructing justice. In the meantime, we will leave the premises, but you will be hearing from us again, Emile Lacroix."

Emile blinked several times feeling very much relieved. She never left the door to Maxime's room until she was sure the uniformed men had all left the house.

They had taken her unawares. Barging to her home and asking to search her house. Who the hell involved the police? Was it Maxime or that ungrateful nurse? Or wait... It must be Juliette. That fox!

It was getting closer to accepting the fact that there was a growing number of enemies lately and that troubled Emile more than she could think. It definitely worried her that Maxime who was out of the house could be harbouring a stronger hatred towards her. Where could he be? How did things get out hand so quickly?

Henrietta didn't give her a direct explanation of what exactly happened to Maxime, whether he was dead or alive.

She gritted her teeth as she made her way down the stairs.

"Henrietta, Henrietta...!" she called.

"Yes ma'am."

"Go clean up that room," she pointed upwards. "And clear every single pin out, do you understand me."

"Yes ma'am."

"And don't open the door for anyone unless I authorize you."

Emile made her way back up and strode to her room. The room was unkempt. Luckily the officers didn't find anything incriminating.

Her hands was still shaking from all the nerves. She needed to calm down before she goes crazy. Pulling open the drawers of her dressing table, she searched for her medications. 

Where had she left them? Last time she had taken a full dose was at Fabien's. He had suggested she added a little crystal meth, it was his newest addiction. She had taken it with her favorite alcoholic drink and had gotten hooked immediately. Now she needed more.