Chapter Three

At a quarter after eight on Monday morning, Amalie showed up at Merlin Enterprises. She was hot after hurrying to the office. It had taken longer than she had anticipated, and she almost had to run to make it on time. Crossing over to reception on the main floor, she said, "I was instructed to go up to Dr. Killian Wilte's office." She fanned her red face with her hand.

"What is your name?" asked the receptionist. She looked bored. Amalie had the brief thought that she wouldn't be pleased if she owned the company to see their receptionist looking so bored. It didn't give a good first impression.

"Amalie Le Beau." Amalie chewed on her lip as she waited for the receptionist to look at her list of visitors for the day. She hoped that Killian hadn't forgotten about her.

"Dr. Wilte is expecting you", said the receptionist as she clicked back out of the computer appointment program. "Go to the elevators on your left and press the number for the top floor. The receptionist there will be able to direct you to Dr. Wilte's office."

Amalie took one step away from the desk before turning back to the receptionist. "Before I go, perhaps you can help me. What position does Dr. Wilte have in the company?"

The receptionist looked at her quizzically. "He's the president and owner."

"The president?" Amalie felt her stomach drop out of her and hastily tried to remember what she had told Killian over breakfast.

"Yes. The elevators on your left, top floor." She shooed Amalie over to the area where the other staff members were waiting.

"Of course," said Amalie, slightly dazed. She walked to the elevators and fidgeted while she waited. After counting to ten twice to calm herself, she gave a final tug to her suit jacket and walked onto the elevator. It stopped on every floor and, by the time she got to the top floor, she was hyperventilating.

The elevator spit her out in front of the reception desk. "Ms. Le Beau?" asked the receptionist. Amalie nodded her head, not trusting her voice to speak, and the receptionist directed her down the hallway to the end of the corridor.

Amalie took a deep breath and walked through the open and spacious work areas, a series of small reception pods surrounded by offices and linked by a hallway. There were approximately eight different pods, and each pod had about two or three offices attached to the reception areas. The décor was light and airy, and there were plants everywhere.

Amalie walked into the last pod on the floor. The reception desk was unmanned, and there was only one office attached to the waiting area. Amalie looked around, amazed at the opulence of the room. There was a seating area with leather couches, and a mahogany desk and a wall of matching filing cabinets. Amalie's heels sunk into the deep pile of the carpet. She looked around her. There wasn't an assistant at his or her desk, but the door to Killian's office was open. "Hello?" she called out tentatively.

"Hi", said Killian, coming through from the inner office to the reception area. "As you can see, I need an assistant. Why don't you come into my office and I can answer any questions that you might have thought of since Saturday?"

Amalie followed him into the office as Killian circled the desk and sat down. "Thank you for emailing your resume to me yesterday."

"I brought you another copy in case you didn't have a chance to print off the one that I sent." She handed it to him.

"Thank you." He indicated to her to sit down at one of the guest seats in front of his desk. "I did have a good chance to look over your resume. Thank you for including the letters of reference that your professors wrote. They had several glowing remarks about you."