Chapter Fifteen

"Do you think it was wise telling everyone what was so special about Amalie's blood?" asked Gabriel. "I was surprised you did that."

"I thought about fluffing it off", said Killian, "but Amalie and I have talked about the potential of letting our group feed from Amalie. She wants to go ahead and do that, whereas I want to protect her from being gang-bitten."

"She wants to make a super-vampire club?" asked Gabriel, surprised.

"Yes. She is concerned that she'll be kidnapped by Bruno and taken to his kiss, and she wants to arm our vampires with as much ability as she can."

"She does know that doing so could kill her, doesn't she?"

"She knows, but she's worried about the citizens of Alton. She said that she isn't as important as the greater good."

"I'm worried about both."

"So am I, but I'm convinced that we'll win this war. And I'm convinced that we'll do so without Amalie having to be gang-bitten. That would be horrendous for her."

"Even if we mesmerize her first, she'd be left weakened. Does she realize how vulnerable she'd be?"

"She does – perhaps even more so than most people after being so brutally attacked by Bruno two weeks ago – but she said that she doesn't care. She's worried that it will be a bloodbath for our friends if Bruno gets control of her."

"She cares about vampires?"

"She cares about our friends. She doesn't care about Bruno and his kiss. Bruno's attacks scared her. After all, she was attacked twice. Once when he almost drained her; the other time when he broke her wrist. It's her fear of them that's driving her to offer herself to our friends. Amalie had one concern, however. She worried that one of our friends was the master of the kiss, or that there was a spy in the room. I assured her that there was no spy. I would stake my life on that."

"I would as well. The vampires in our family are dedicated to our way of life. There's no need to enslave humans as there are no people in our family who think that they're better than humans. They don't think that they're worse, either, but they don't think they're better. Just different. However, I'm glad that she's being careful. She'll need to be on her toes if she acts as bait."

"I'm questioning that we need her to draw out Bruno and his gang, but I know that most of my worry is because I want to protect her. She's special, not just for her blood but because of the kind of person she is. She's gutsy, open-minded, intelligent, fair and a beautiful person, both inside and out."

"You want to protect her because you're attracted to her."

"I'm more than attracted to her. She's rapidly becoming my life. I've lived seventeen hundred years, and I finally know the meaning of love-at-first-sight."

"Then we need to work together to keep her safe. We'll discover who's behind the threat to take over the humans. But we'll need Amalie to flush out Bruno just as much as we'll need Luke to flush out the vampires behind the threat to the city. She'll never be safe until we do so."

"I want to hide her from the world."

"I understand, but you can't. You've tried to arm her with whatever knowledge you can, and you or someone else will be on hand to always protect her. That's the best that we can do, my friend."

"I know", said Killian. "But I don't have to like it."

"I don't like it either", said Gabriel. "I admire her. She's a very courageous woman. She has the respect of all the vampires."