Chapter Eight

Amalie sat up and stretched and looked at her wrist. There were no marks there and Amalie wasn't certain whether Killian had been successful. She assessed herself. She didn't feel any different.

She folded the blanket and placed it on the end of the sofa. Just as she finished, Killian walked down the stairs. "I could sense that you were awake", he said. "You're now marked."

"So, it worked?"

"Yes, it did. I also learned something after I marked you. Clara knows your grandmother."

"My grandmother? My parents didn't have any relatives. That's why I was sent to a foster home."

"No, actually, you do have a family. A rather large family. The story Clara told me is that your mother was a fairy and your father was a shifter. The wolf that your mother kept in her house was probably your father."

Amalie looked at Killian, not blinking. "This will be one of those things that will be hard to accept, isn't it?"

Killian smiled. "Probably. Anyway, your grandmother is Queen Titania."

She plopped down on the sofa. "Queen Titania? Like Queen-of-the-Fairies Queen Titania?"

Killian nodded and put his hands in his pockets. "Yes. She has been watching over you in your dreams, making sure that you were all right."

Amalie stared at him, not moving. "My grandmother is Queen of the Fairies."

"Yes." Killian looked at her worriedly.

She shook her head. "I think I'm finally going around the bend."

Killian smiled again. "No, not yet. Anyway, there's bad blood between shifters and fairies. Your parents tried to live in the Land of Fay, but your father wasn't accepted. They moved into the human world and hoped that they would find a better place for them to live."

Amalie thought for a moment. "You said my grandmother came to me in dreams as I was growing up?"

"Yes, she did."

"Is she tiny?" she said slowly. "About four feet tall, long golden hair, gray eyes like mine? Does she wear a golden circlet on her head?"

"That's her", said Killian in agreement. "Do you remember her?"

Amalie nodded. "I remember having dreams about her. I used to think of her as being my special friend. I'd tell her all about school, all about my foster family."

Killian sat on the sofa beside her. "She is a real person and she's your grandmother", he said gently.

Amalie stared out the window, still not moving.

"Amalie?" asked Killian.

"My grandmother is Queen of the Fairies."

"Yes", said Killian. He wished he could make things easier for her. It had to be a bit of a shock to find out that you were related to royalty. And fay royalty, above all. "Which makes you a princess."

"I'm a princess." She still stared out the window, unblinkingly, and Killian wished that she was looking at him so that he could better judge how she was feeling.

"Yes." Killian looked at her, concerned.

Amalie shook her head a little as she turned back to Killian. "You don't have any other surprises for me, do you? Because I don't know how much more I can handle."

Killian smiled, relieved that she seemed to be coming out of her shock. "I don't", he said, "although I was hoping that you could cancel your visit with your mother this weekend. I'd like to take you to the Land of Fay to meet your grandmother. I'd like to ask her for your protection."