Chapter Sixteen

"Thank you for your apartment key", said Gabriel as he unlocked Amalie's door, walked into her apartment and made sure it was safe before he allowed Amalie to follow him in. "Keep your door locked at all times, unless it is someone you know on the other side. We'll be able to hear you whenever you talk or make noise. If you feel at all uncomfortable, just scream and we'll come running."

"And remember", said Amalie, "don't kill Bruno until you have information from him regarding the kiss. He's the only kiss member that we know of."

"I know. You don't have to tell me how to do my job", said Gabriel with a smile.

Amalie laughed apologetically. "Sorry. I'm just a little nervous about being used as bait. I still think it's a good idea but now that I'm doing it, I'm a little worried. It's silly, isn't it? I'm more prepared than I've ever been in my life, and I'm anxious."

"I think that's natural. I'd come into your apartment and stay with you", said Gabriel, "but any vampire worth his weight would be able to smell me. It would scare Bruno away. Just because he's evil doesn't mean he's stupid."

"I never said he was", said Amalie. "I'm just scared."

"Call Killian at some point tonight. He's also worried, and I'm sure he'd appreciate the call." Gabriel gave Amalie a hug and kissed her on her cheek. "We'll be right next door. Make something good for dinner tonight."

"Do you want me to make something for you?"

"No, thanks", said Brandon. "We ate on the way here."

"Okay", said Amalie, and she closed the door on the pair as they opened the door to their apartment, all the while chastising herself for asking if they wanted something to eat. They were vampires, something that she had momentarily forgotten. They didn't eat human food.

"Remember to lock your door", said Gabriel across the hallway. Amalie hurriedly slid her deadbolt home.

Amalie stir-fried some vegetables that were in her kitchen, mixing them with garlic. She didn't know if that was a myth or not, but she felt it couldn't hurt. She could use all the help she could get with repelling Bruno.

She put a large helping into a pasta bowl and carried it over to the living room, sitting on her sofa as she turned on the television. She missed Killian's company. He was a fascinating person. She was always trying to get him to talk about his past. He, however, was always trying to get her to talk about herself. They had danced around each other many times, but through it all had learned quite a bit about each other. So much, in fact, that Amalie was missing his sense of humor and the way he looked at things. She wished he was there right then.

As she finished eating her meal, she thought about the fact that the garlic would also repel Brandon and Gabriel just as much as it would Bruno. She had been so worried about Bruno that she had forgotten her protectors and, when she did remember them, she forgot they were vampires. She shook her head. What was she thinking?

She put away the leftovers and did the dishes. Then, with nothing else to do, she called her mother. "How are you, dear?" her mother asked.

"Good thanks, Mom", replied Amalie. She wondered if Gabriel and Brandon could hear her mother's voice through the walls. She was just glad she didn't have her mother on speakerphone. There would have been no avoiding her mother's voice then.

"How was Transylvania?" asked her mother.

"We had a bitingly good time." She sat down on the sofa and put her feet up.

Her mother laughed. "Did you meet any vampires?"

Amalie laughed. "I wouldn't know", she said. "How can you tell a vampire from a normal human?"