Chapter 6

"Find her."

"Find her."

"Find her!"

Luke's entire twisted in agony as the voice in his head made him gasp awake. His forehead ached so fiercely he cradled it between his clawing fingers. Unshed tears gathered in his eyes as another wave of pain was induced in his head. It was like someone was screaming in his ear only a hundred times louder.

He roared again as another unnatural burst of longing and misery rolled through his body.

"Master Luke!" Elliot banged the door open, wide eyed and scared, his toupee nearly flying off his head.

"Find her, find her," Luke growled with his head between his knees. The elderly companion huddled over the Prince, forcing the shaking body into a heartfelt embrace.

"Calm down, my boy, calm down." Elliot tried to sooth his charge down, feeling just as overwrought. He did not know what magic the woman had done to him but he would do everything in his power to break it.

////

The Royal Stables covered a vast area of the palace land and contained purebreds from all over the world. The horses silently watched the group of curious young men being led through the arched corridors.

"I do not see why our horse riding skills must be tested. Times are changing and we live in the city. We hardly need horses anymore," The snooty looking dandy scoffed.

"You might reconsider this means of employment if you believe you will spend time loitering in the city palace. Prince Luke has many holdings all over the kingdom which he visits regularly all on horse back," The elderly Mister Elliot walked out soundlessly from one shed making the young man being addressed flinch.

Elliot brought out a white horse with hair so silky any woman would be envious off it. It was widely known the Royal family liked to breed this particular shade and used them to lead out carriages for processions. From a distance they were splendid but up close the beast was magnificent.

"Men, I have another task set out for you. I will be assigning different horses to each of you. While horse riding may not be a regular part of your routine, the Prince will require a secretary who is able to keep up with him on his horse rides. It will only be in your disadvantage if you do not use this opportunity to learn this specific task."

Jade was handled a dappled Kladruber. She patted his nose and, in a move she had long learnt from her first horse trainer, she seated herself with ease. Her horse barely shifted under weight showing itself to be a patient sort.

"Show off," Someone coughed but Jade was too amused to care. She had nothing but the skills her father had helped her acquire which she was proud of. She steadily weaved her way through the meandering group, who were still fretting over which horse to choose, and made her way to other wing of the horse stables.

This particular room was high ceiling-ed indoor riding arena. The ground was divided into a couple of training areas but most of the grounds were dedicated to racing horses. 

Seeing the arena empty of other riders bar the staff that worked there Jade started exercising the horse in preparation for any future exertion. It would not do to put a horse through duress without stretching it a little. She was busy making it do sharp turns when she found a familiar man brushing a horse near the large doors that were the exit.

"Hellloo," Jade called out and her voice echoed embarrassingly in the room. The man paused and then turned around. She quickly trotted forward hoping she didn't have to shout in that horribly high pitch anymore.