Chapter 14

As the long summer days passed by Jade was forced to accompany Prince Luke to many parties, wine tastings and book readings. Emma had informed her that it was first time in months Luke had emerged from his room and joined Edward's social circle. Even before the Ball fiasco Luke had been too reticent to make many public appearances which made Jade mentally curse the man for his sudden change of habits even if she knew his reasons for it.

The brown haired girl wobbled through the hallway feeling the afteraffects of the food and wine Lady Elena had piled on her plate. The infuriating woman had apparently decided the way to a man's heart was his secretary. It was a good strategy in theory but the woman had the subtly of a rampaging horse which did not endear her to the secretary in question.

Jade was only a corridor away from her room when someone smashed an unknown object at the back of her head. The force of the attack left her unsteady and she staggered forward until she landed on her knees. The glass tinkling around her indicated whatever was smashed on her head was now broken.

"Oye! You miserable cur!" Jade hollered as the world swayed. She bit back bile rumbling in her stomach and placed her hands covered head on the ground before her. She was attacked again as if the attacker meant to pummel her to the ground but the man retreated before he could land another blow.

She was uncertain whether the sounds of the footsteps racing towards her were of enemy or her foe and she braced for impact until the voices indicated they were from a pair of royal guards concerned about her life. They helped her up and on her assertions she was fine led her to her room.

Once inside Jade swiftly locked her door and marched into her dressing room and again locked the door behind her. She was worried her attacker would take the opportunity to strike again. To her horror her wig was nearly knocked askew by the attack. If the light of the hallways hadn't been as dim as it were, for it was well past bedtime for most of the castle, then her secret would have been revealed.

The only positive she could think of was that wig had cushioned most of the blow. She gently wiped away the remnants of the vase that had been hit on her head, feeling grateful for the contraption that saved her. None of the sharp glass had done any bodily harm.

Jade took a long bath to wipe away the worst of the pain and hobbled out with her newly washed wig atop her head. She had only removed her bed covers when a soft screeching noise caught her attention.

"Hello?" Jade said, nervously. She wondered if the attacker had found a way to break into her rooms and finish the job. Finding no sensible weapon on hand she took a pillow as protection and slowly made her way out from behind the screen.

Her heart jumped to see the ghostly shadow standing in the middle of the dark room. She slipped against the wooden screen when she realised who it was.

"What are you doing here? I nearly died of fright!" Jade demanded, roughly.

"I heard you nearly died from something else as well," Prince Luke remarked, sanguinely. He was kind enough to ignore the lack of decorum and politeness. He was still in the elegant clothes he had been dressed in at the party.

"How did you get in?" Jade's arms shivered with draining adrenaline, "You were lucky I didn't attack you."

"With what? Your pillow?" The grey eyed man snickered as he noticed her choice of weapon.

"Smothered by a pillow is not a pleasant way to go," Jade pouted, feeling rather put out that her privacy was being disturbed when she had explicitly locked the doors firmly.

"I shall remember your warning, Ward," Luke played with the matches on the mantle and managed to turn on a candle the maids had neglected. The room was bathed in the weak flicker of light.