Chapter 28

Jade eyes sprang open and she woke up in an ungraceful flail. She was just congratulating herself that no one else was there to see it when she realised waking up alone was much worse. The Prince's bedroll was gone.

She swiftly jumped from her resting place and then tripped over her own riding shoes as she attempted to wear them. Jade skidded out on the dewy grass just in time to see the first rays of the sun spring out from behind the mountains. 

The Prince stared up at the commotion with a grimace and then went back to grooming his dark maned horse. He was already dressed in his heavy travelling cloak. He had a woollen scarf around his neck and a fleece hat atop his bound hair in preparation for the cooler weather. 

"I'm going to set them free," Luke informed her as he gestured to the other horses grazing on the longer grass nearby, "I don't know when or if we'll be back at all. They have plenty to eat if they're not restrained."

"And yet their masters remain imprisoned within their own bodies," Jade grunted as she slumped over the log next to the warm fires. There was a pot of tea churning above it. She rubbed her hands together, having neglected to be appropriately garbed for the weather in her panic.

"I have the tea brewing. I've also boiled some eggs for breakfast. Have some," The Prince said redundantly for Jade was already pouring the concoction in her cup.

"Surely you didn't use..." Jade's ungloved hands stilled as her brown eyes landed on the lake. Her stomach lurched at the thought of drinking the same water.

"The water came from one of the soldier's skins. Even the horses are taking the water from the stream and not the lake," The man explained and finally turned around to face her.

Jade picked up the metal cup and sniffed at it delicately. She took a tentative sip as if expecting poison.

"Unlike you I am a competent cook. I pull my weight when we go hunting. I could have made an elaborate meal but we do not have time," Luke seemed greatly offended by her hesitance.

"So you say," Jade had a smile on her face as she raised her cup towards him in a grand gesture and eagerly drank the hot tea. The chill of the morning air was sinking in her limbs and the tea was the only antidote.

"I'm not one who can't even tell if the meat is done," Luke snorted, "Did they not teach you anything at the Finishing school for the Virtuous, Principled Ladies?"

"Never went," Jade blew over the piping hot tea.

"That explains a lot." The Prince grumbled.

"Whatever does that mean?" Jade's voice was sharp in indignation.

The Prince just arched his brow at her inelegant sprawl and returned to saddling his horse. He was adding more luggage to their horses in case they needed further supplies.

"It's far to early in the morning to be dainty and restrained," Jade grumbled.

The secretary looked up and caught sight of the frozen men, inspite of her efforts to keep her eyes averted. The delicate morning light illuminated the men from behind. There was a greyish tinge to their bodies that was not visible earlier in the torch light. Jade already felt she was mourning them. She was so desperate to see them alive she wished she could hear Sir Rutherford's singing for hours at a time.

"I wondered last night whether we could lasso them towards us but we might inadvertently drown them," Jade motioned at the silent soldiers. Luke remained silent but she knew he too had tossed and turned trying to find a solution. The man dropped the grooming equit and settled in front of her.