Chapter 18

Jade blinked as her vision blurred momentarily. Her was head pounding fiercely as Crown Prince Edward blathered on and on about the arrangements he was making for the ball. Prince Luke was absent and while Jade understood his reluctance to participate in this farce she was surprised he hadn't been frogmarched into the room by his bossy, older brother.

"Shouldn't Prince Luke be participating in this discussion?" Jade asked as the Crown Prince paused his lengthy speech to take a look at the paperwork thrust in his hand by Sir Elliot.

"Of course not," The former secretary shook his head so violently that his hair piece was in danger of falling down, "He's a loose canon whom I cannot trust in this matter."

"Surely he wouldn't betray our plans. He too seeks a conclusion to this problem," The current secretary was adamant.

"This is magic we're talking about. It, to be blunt, makes foes out of friends. I would hope you keep the details to yourself," The former secretary asked while the Prince watched the exchange with narrowed eyes.

"I understand. I've seen how he loses himself completely. Only water breaks the spell. I am certain of this," Jade nodded though she felt guilt at the thought of keeping things from her master.

"That's exactly why the theme of this ball is water," The Prince spoke abruptly, "I shall be damned if half the attendees don't slip at least once in a puddle or two."

"Let's hope we don't end up with too many broken bones," Sir Elliot murmered as he signed another parchment.

"I've called up more guards from the capital. We cannot afford to make mistakes," Edward continued on as if the former secretary hadn't spoken, "I have a cricket match to attend. I will take my leave."

The Prince gave Elliot a respectful nod of the head while Jade gave the elderly secretary a low bow performing as one would to their superiors. She left the room behind the Prince and decided she needed to have an important conversation with the man. Dimitri had given her a lot of reassurances but beyond collecting evidence he did not have any further role in the court proceedings.

"Your Highness, pardon me for asking but I wish to know if Emma's case has reached a conclusion. Have they announced who the perpetrators are?"

"Is this any of your concern?" Edward stride decreased in speed but he neither stopped, nor turned his head towards his brother's secretary. He still did not deem her worthy of attention though he had improved his behaviour enough to acknowledge her. It would be impossible to have a relationship with his brother if he did not.

"I am worried for my friend, Sire," Jade implored, "Emma has had no word about whether anything is being done at all."

"She need not worry quite so much. I have handled the matter to my satisfaction and I have written to her father detailing the circumstances. My own father, his royal Highness, has also been updated on the developments and his court will announce the verdict shortly," The blue eyed man gave Jade a brief look as the girl matched his pace while keeping an inch of a distance behind him as per court protocol.

"And what of her satisfaction, your Highness? She should have been at least given some indication that the guilty party has been apprehended. She still fears venturing outdoors," The tall girl tried to keep her tone of voice placid even though steady exasperation boiled in her veins.

"I suppose so. You should tell her she will have permanent guards to ease her back into the public eye," Edward's tone was flippant and irreverent.

"I don't believe it necessary, Sire."

"Why ever not?" The dark haired man gave Jade an inquiring look.

"She plans to depart from the palace permanently after the Ball," The brown haired girl announced with a certain noxious satisfaction that this pronouncement would break the Prince's frigid comportment. The girl was proven correct when the man paused so suddenly that the secretary trailing behind him nearly slammed into him.